It's early, but not too early for this: How is the 2013 recruiting class shaping up in the Big Ten?
Based on sheer volume, it's impossible not to rank Michigan No. 1 -- right now.
That, of course, could change very quickly if Ohio State lands just a few of its top targets.
All indications are that the Buckeyes are looking to land a big-time wide receiver such as Shelton Gibson, a four-star recruit who is ranked No. 103 in the Rivals250. Also near the top of the Buckeyes' target list is Hilliard Darby defensive back Caleb Day, who is No. 163 in the Rivals250 and has an offer on the table.
Others who the Buckeyes will be looking to hear from over the coming weeks include DT Greg Webb (No. 78 in Rivals250), DT Henry Poggi (No. 43), LB Jaylon Smith (No. 34) and DB Marcell Harris (No. 39). QB Malik Zaire (No. 136) is from Kettering Alter.
Here is an early top five among the Big Ten.
1. Michigan -- The Wolverines currently have 14 verbals, including 12 in the Rivals250. They've got their quarterback of the future in Shane Morris (No. 16) from Warren DeLaSalle and locked up Trotwood-Madison LB Mike McCray earlier this week at LB. From central Ohio, Michigan has Pickerington North TE Jake Butt (No. 96) and Pickerington Central DE Taco Charlton (No. 183).
2. Ohio State -- With DB Cameron Burrows (No. 7), DB Eli Woodward (No. 28), athlete Jalin Marshall (No. 41), OL Evan Lisle (No. 83) and DT Billy Price (No. 13), there's an awful lot of quality at the top. The Buckeyes attractiveness under Urban Meyer could easily move this class to No. 1 in the Big Ten -- and possibly nationally -- over the coming months.
3. Penn State -- Despite the recent scandal that rocked their program, the Nittany Lions are putting together a nice class. They've locked up New Jersey DE Garrett Sickels (No. 50), Virginia QB Christian Hackenberg (No. 153) and Avon athlete Ross Douglas (No. 242)
4. Nebraska -- Marcus McWilson is a four-star DB from Youngstown Cardinal Mooney who is ranked No. 142 and gives the Cornhuskers a nice pickup in Buckeye country. They've also grabbed Tre'vell Dixson, an athlete at No. 203.
5. Michigan State -- The Spartans have four recruits, although none are ranked among the Rivals250. The top pickup so far is LB Jon Reschke, who is a four-star recruit by Scout.com.
Dec 18, 2013 | Currently: 26° Overcast