March 16, 2012
Igwebuike leads area 2013 football recruits in number of offers
The next four months should be an active time for the nation's top juniors in terms of gaining exposure and picking up football scholarship offers, so I decided to put together a tracker of central Ohio's most recruited players as of March 16.
Thanks to the wonderful work of ScoutingOhio.com, it's possible to follow alongside the top players throughout the state as they tweak their resumes, add offers and make their verbal commitments.
As of now, the Columbus-area players who have committed are Pickerington North's Jake Butt, Pickerington Central's Taco Charlton and Marion-Franklin's Jaron Dukes, all with Michigan, and Hartley's Jacob Matuska, who has verballed to Notre Dame.
In terms of the big-time recruits, there might not be a better athlete in the 2013 class from central Ohio than Hilliard Darby's Caleb Day, who has only one offer, but it's a big one -- Ohio State.
Day currently is the only uncommitted player from the area to have an official offer from the Buckeyes, although Pickerington North's Godwin Igwebuike, Walnut Ridge's Rob Wheelwright and New Albany's Darron Lee have received some interest from OSU.
Here's a list of central Ohio players, based on how many Division I offers each player has garnered. I'll keep this list updated as more area players add offers over the coming months.
1. Godwin Igwebuike, Pickerington North -- A 6-0, 190-pound athlete, Igwebuike saw significant time at running back and in the secondary for the Panthers last season. He is considered an athlete at this point. Offers (13): Boston College, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Duke, Illinois, Iowa, Kent State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio, Toledo, Wisconsin
2. Rob Wheelwright, Walnut Ridge -- A 6-3, 185-pounder, Wheelwright likely will follow in the footsteps of his older brother, Ernie Wheelwright, and sign as a wide receiver. Offers (11): Boston College, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Syracuse, West Virginia, Wisconsin
3. Marcus Ball, Westerville South -- A 6-3, 210-pounder, Ball played quarterback for the Wildcats last season, but he could end up on defense collegiate. Offers (7): Arizona State, Bowling Green, Illinois, Kent State, Minnesota, Northern Illinois, Toledo
4. Darron Lee, New Albany -- A 6-3, 205-pounder who also has seen significant action at quarterback at the prep level, Lee's athleticism gives him options. Offers (6): Boston College, Bowling Green, Illinois, Kent State, Purdue, Toledo
5. Chris Huhn, Pickerington North -- A 6-6, 275-pounder, Huhn didn't have a huge impact at the prep level last season, but the program he comes from at North has become a factory for Division I talent the last few years. Offers (5): Buffalo, Louisville, Ohio, Toledo, Western Kentucky
6. Mykel Traylor-Bennett, Reynoldsburg -- A 6-3, 195-pounder, Traylor-Bennett spent time rushing the ball and catching it last season. His athleticism should continue to be on display this spring for the track and field team. Offers (3): Bowling Green, Kent State, Toledo
7. Dezwon Polk, Whetstone -- A 6-4, 193-pounder, Polk saw time on the defensive line for the Braves last season but will undoubtedly find himself at another college position. Offers (2): Ohio, Toledo
7. James Walsh, Dublin Coffman -- A 6-2, 186-pounder, Walsh didn't have great numbers last season but comes from central Ohio's premier quarterback factory at Coffman. Offers (2): Ohio, Toledo
9. Caleb Day, Ohio State -- A 6-1, 186-pounder, Day likely will end up at defensive back but has the athleticism to play at other skilled positions. Offer (1): Ohio State
9. Devon Edwards, Eastmoor Academy -- A 6-5, 240-pounder, Edwards is a defensive end and tight end. Offer (1): West Virginia
9. William Houston, Dublin Scioto -- A 6-0, 235-pounder, Houston showed running and pass-catching ability last season for the Irish. Offer (1): Bowling Green
9. Cameron Kohl, Hilliard Darby -- A 6-1, 225-pounder, Kohl has college potential at middle linebacker. Offer (1): Bowling Green
9. Alonzo Saxton, Hartley -- A 5-11, 170-pounder, Saxton has shown his speed on the football field. Offer (1): Illinois
9. Ja'Wuan Woodley, Hartley -- A 5-11, 215-pounder, Woodley had a great season at running back for the Hawks last season and could be a RB or LB in college. Offer (1): Toledo