Mixed greens salad with roasted tomato vinaigrette, courtesy of Matt Linebrink of Latitude 41.
1 large vine-ripened red tomato
1 tsp olive oil
tsp kosher salt and black pepper
cup olive oil
cup white balsamic vinegar
Mixed salad greens
English ( seedless ) cucumber
Method of preparation
1. Season the tomato with olive oil and salt and pepper
2. Place in a 425 degree oven for approx. 15 minutes or until the skin is blistered
3. Remove and cool. Remove the skin and most of the seeds and reserve to make the dressing
4. To make the vinaigrette, combine the tomato and vinegar is your blender
5. Puree the mixture until smooth, and then slowly add in the olive oil
6. This mixture should be smooth and not separated; season with salt and pepper
The make the salad, cut the cucumber length-wise into full sized strips.
Curl the cucumber end to end to form a "bowl".
Gently toss the lettuces in a drizzle of the dressing and place inside the cucumber bowl.
Garnish the salad with carrot curls by shaving a carrot with a vegetable peeler, using long strokes.