Recipe of the Week
Ingredients for the coca dough
- water as needed (start with 1 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 quarts of all purpose flour, or double “O” flour
- 2.5 quarts of semolina flour
- 3.5 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Add sugar and yeast to 110 degree water.
- Mix in flours and salt
- Add eggs and oil to the flour and mix on low speed for 3 minutes, adding enough water to form smooth elastic dough.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix for an additional 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, lightly flour and work surface and portion into 4 oz. balls. Place dough balls on a lightly floured sheet tray, then cover and let rest until they have doubled in size.
- After they have doubled in size, roll out until around ¼ inch thick.
- Artichoke hearts, cleaned and choke removed
- Manchego cheese, finely grated
- Thinly sliced shallots
- Thinly sliced garlic or garlic paste
- Pickled figs, or fresh figs (depending on the season)
- Caramelized onions
- Thinly sliced Serrano ham
- Fresh arugula or watercress
To assemble the coca
- Season the coca dough with salt and pepper. Drizzle with good olive oil and rub in gently.
- Add the garlic paste, or fresh garlic, as well as the shallots. Sprinkle liberally across the dough making sure not to equally distribute.
- Add the caramelized onions, fresh sliced figs, artichoke hearts and manchego cheese. Unlike a pizza, make sure there are bare areas in the center of the dough to ensure the dough will become crispy.
- Pre-heat a standard deck oven to 500 degrees, add a pizza stone or sheet tray (flipped upside down) to the oven making sure it is 5 inches below the broiler.
- Once the oven has reached 500 degrees, turn the oven off and turn the broiler on low.
- Quickly transfer the coca onto the pizza stone or sheet tray and close the oven door. Keep a close eye on the coca at this point, the dough will become crispy and the toppings will fully cook in a matter of minutes.
- Once the dough is crispy and the toppings are cooked, remove the flatbread from the oven. Garnish with the Serrano ham and fresh arugula or watercress.