Recipe: Chicken paprikash with homemade spaetzle, courtesy of Dan Varga of Explorers Club.
Ingredients • 1 whole chicken cut up into fryer pieces • 1 medium white onion diced • 1 red pepper diced • 1 green pepper diced • 6 cloves of garlic mince • 1 roma tomato diced • ½ gal. of chicken stock • ½ lb. butter or bacon fat • ½ lb. flour • 4tbs Hungarian paprika • 1tbs fresh ground black pepper • Salt to taste • 2 ea. Bay leaves Method
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and
2. Heat butter or fat in a large Dutch oven or braising pot.
3. Sear chicken in the fat for 3-4 min. per side. Remove and rest.
4. Add onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until soft. Do not brown.
5. Add peppers and tomato. Cook until soft.
6. Add remainder of the paprika and cook for a minute. Add flour and cook for 3-4 min.
7. Add chicken stock to the roux and bring to a simmer. Add chicken back to the pot.
8. Cover and simmer until the chicken is Tender. 30-40 minutes.
9. Remove chicken and set aside. Off the heat, slowly add the sour cream. Stirring constantly. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed. Add chicken back let rest. Serve over spaetzel, noodles, or rice.Spaetzle [dumplings] • 1c. eggs • 1c. milk • 4c. flour • Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Stir ingredients together until thick and starts to pull away from the edge.
2. Bring a pasta pot ½ full of water to a rolling boil.
3. With a colander and a rubber spatula push the batter through the holes.
4. Do not put too much in a one time. Wait for the water to come back to a boil.
5. The spaetzle will float when done. Fish out the dumplings and repeat steps until done.
6. Season with butter, salt and pepper, and a little parmesan cheese.