Recipe of the Week
Penne with sausage and red pepper alfredo sauce
- 1 Medium shallot, small dice
- 2 Red bell peppers, roasted and peeled
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- ¼ Cup fresh basil
- 1 Sprig fresh oregano, de-stemmed
- 1 Pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ Cup white wine
- 1 Cup vegetable stock
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- Lemoncello to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Italian sausage links, poached and sliced
- 2 Chicken breasts, cut in ¼ inch cubes
- 2 Corn cobs grilled, kernels cut off cob
- 2 Cups arugula
- 1 Pound penne pasta, uncooked
In a medium sized sauce pan, gently sauté the shallot with the garlic, red peppers, herbs and red pepper flake.
When the shallot is translucent, add the wine and reduce by half. Using a rubber spatula, transfer contents to a blender. Puree on low speed, slowly adding the stock to create a smooth puree. Place contents of blender back into the same sauce pot and add the cream, simmer about ten minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
Season with lemoncello, salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking the pasta
In large sauce pot, bring seasoned water to a boil. Drop in pasta and cook until al dente.
In a large sauté pan on high heat, drop in the chicken and sausage and sear to achieve browning on all surface areas of the meat, add the corn, then the red pepper alfredo sauce. When sauce is hot, add hot pasta and finish with the arugula. Season as desired.