More than a week after hurricane-force winds whipped through Bexley, city and school district officials are still trying to return everything to normal.

More than a week after hurricane-force winds whipped through Bexley, city and school district officials are still trying to return everything to normal.

Service director Bill Harvey said the city's 22 service workers are constantly out on the streets making sure everything is safe.

He said their first priority was to clear the streets and the second was to clear the alleys where people were blocked in.

"We are making progress," he said. "They will be doing it for another couple of weeks."

He said the city has incurred around 200 hours of overtime while cleaning up.

"It's a matter of going through section by section," he said. "All the streets are clear."

Harvey also said he had to rent a chipper to grind fallen trees and hire a few contractors to clear big trees and limbs.

Doug Jackson, director of recreation, said Jeffrey Mansion and its park were not affected by the high winds any more than other areas of the city.

"We lost a lot of limbs and branches," he said. "We did have one pine tree that fell near the gazebo in the back of the mansion. It fell across the wall and crumbled some bricks."

He said three members of his grounds crew have been clearing the field behind the mansion.

"Safety should not be a concern," Jackson said. "Everything is operational for us."

Harvey compared last week's winds to an ice storm of a few years ago that left Bexley residents without power.

"The Franklin County Emergency Management Agency has contacted me every day to see what we are doing and if we need any help," the service director said. "Our crews can handle what they can handle."

He said with the ice storm, the city was reimbursed for some cleanup expenses because the area was declared a state of emergency, as Gov. Ted Strickland declared for the situation last week.

"Last time they asked us what our total expenses were and they gave us a percentage of that back," he said. "The reality is we have to do what we have to do. If we get reimbursed, that's great."

Barry Zwick, director of operations for the school district, said the three buildings made it out fairly unscathed by the powerful winds, although classes were canceled for two days.

A Sycamore tree fell in the front yard of Montrose Elementary, a tree damaged the fence around Maryland Elementary and the Cassingham Complex was left without air conditioning when small transformers blew.

"The Sycamore tree needs to come down," Zwick said. "We are going to plant another tree in that general vicinity."

Zwick said a few sheets of metal that secure the insulation on the Cassingham Elementary roof also blew off.

Because of the working generators in the Cassingham Complex, Zwick said none of the district's food spoiled while the power was out.

"On Monday we went over to Montrose and brought all the food to Cassingham into the big walk-in freezer," he said.

High school principal John Kellogg said the two unexpected days off wouldn't greatly disrupt teachers' plans.

"I sent an e-mail to the staff reminding them to regroup and take their time," he said. "It will all come back together -- it will be just fine."