Vincent Caplin, a Cassingham Elementary School first-grader, recently won first place in the "Draw Your Audi" contest sponsored by Audi of America.
* Vincent Caplin, a Cassingham Elementary School first-grader, recently won first place in the "Draw Your Audi" contest sponsored by Audi of America.
* Oliver Gladfelter, who will be a Bexley High School senior this fall, was chosen to Buckeye Boys State June 9-16 at Bowling Green State University. The opportunity, sponsored since 1936 by the American Legion of the Department of Ohio, educates young people in understanding the democratic form of government.
Emily Munch and Marissa Kelly, who also will be seniors this fall, were selected to attend Buckeye Girls State at the University of Mount Union. Sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary, the week-long program educates Ohio's young women in the "duties, privileges, rights and responsibilities of good citizenship."
* Christian Adkin, entering Bexley High School as a junior this fall, was chosen by the school to take part in the Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership seminar held in May at Denison University. HOBY is designed to motivate and empower young people to "make a positive difference within our global society, through understanding and action, based on effective and compassionate leadership," according to the HOBY Ohio South website.
* Bexley High School junior Peter Heft and sophomore Parker Murphy, members of the school's Speech and Debate team, competed in the National Speech and Debate Tournament June 16-21 in Birmingham, Ala.
This is the second consecutive year that the team qualified for national competition.
* Three members of Bexley High School's class of 2013 earned the Eagle Scout rank this year: Chris Bruegge, Nick Ellison and Peter Kirschner.
Eagle Scout is the highest advancement rank in Boy Scouting. In 2012, the centennial year of the Eagle Scout Award, 57,976 Scouts earned the Eagle Scout rank-more than in any previous year. About 7 percent of all Boy Scouts earned the Eagle Scout rank in 2012.