A child was used as a distraction in a theft at a business in the 500 block of North Cassady Road, Bexley police said.
A cashier at the business reported that on July 7, a man entered the market with a small child. The child interacted with the cashier in an attempted purchase while the man stole two packages of chicken from the cooler and left the store without paying. The cashier confronted the man and recovered the packages of chicken. The man then stole a toy cap gun and left the store with the small child.
In other Bexley police reports:
* A daycare manager at a facility in the 200 block of Merkle Road reported that on July 4 or July 5, someone entered the daycare office through an unlocked window and ransacked it. The offender then forced entry into two other offices, ransacked both and stole a $10 gift card and 50 cents from a collection cup in the kitchen.
* A resident in the 2000 block of Brentwood Road reported that on July 9 someone broke the front passenger window of his vehicle and stole a GPS unit valued at $160 and a knife valued at $20 while the vehicle was parked near a business in the 2200 block of East Livingston Avenue.
* A resident in the 800 block of Pleasant Ridge Avenue reported someone entered the house July 9 and stole $125 in cash from a computer room.
* A resident in the 2000 block of Sherwood Road reported that between June 27 and July 11, someone stole a shoring post valued at $140.
* A resident in the 100 block of North Gould Road reported that on July 7, someone stole two bicycles valued at $100 each from his home.
* A resident in the 600 block of Sheridan Avenue reported that on July 6 or 7, someone entered his minivan by shattering the driver's-side window. The van was locked and parked in his driveway overnight. About $2 in loose change was taken from a storage area in the dash of the vehicle.
* A resident in the 100 block of South Ardmore Road reported that between May 30 and July 3, someone who had access to the home stole a large flat-screen television from an upstairs bedroom.