The Bexley Education Foundation's Board of Governors recently approved $69,679 in grants to Bexley City Schools, bringing the foundation's total classroom grant funding awarded this academic year to $132,478.
BEF grants, awarded twice each year, are made possible through donations to the foundation's annual fund campaign, the BRAVO! event and other fundraising initiatives.
The foundation also this year made a payment of $97,500 to the district for Wi-Fi, the second and final payment on the BEF's $195,000 Impact grant for a district-wide wireless network.
Grants approved in this cycle include:
* Montrose STEM on Wheels -- A grant award of $7,000 will purchase science discovery and manipulative materials for Montrose Elementary School that will be used in the classrooms as well as during indoor recess and after school. The grant also provides for the purchase of storage carts.
* Sensory Diet Stations -- This grant of $786 will purchase a series of posters for each elementary school in the district. The posters help students, particularly those with autism spectrum disorders, attention deficit disorder and sensory processing disorders to self-regulate their behaviors.
* Montrose Playground Project-- A grant award of $12,000 will support the renovation of the playground, including the installation of new play structures, at Montrose Elementary School.
* Middle School STEM Classroom -- A grant of $41,498 will support the creation of a STEM classroom in Bexley Middle School. The district is remodeling classroom space and the BEF is purchasing the various science equipment for the classroom.
* Visiting Musicians-- A grant of $5,000 will support the visit of two Grammy-nominated musicians, Peter Cooper and Eric Brace, for a three-day "song-writers in residency" in all three elementary schools plus an evening concert open to the community.
* Photosynthesis and Fluoresence -- The Bexley High School Science Department will receive $3,395 to purchase a chlorophyll fluorometer to be used in biology and environmental science classes.
For more information on the Bexley Education Foundation, call 614-338-2093.