The Columbus Jewish Bookfair will mark its 50th year with a series of events from Sunday, Oct. 13, through Oct. 29.
The event began 50 years ago as a celebration of Jewish Book Month. The first Bookfair took place in a single day, bringing together hundreds of books and dozens of community organizations. It has since expanded to an event of several days and continues into the following year.
The Bookfair bookstore opens Sunday, Oct. 13, in the lobby of the JCC of Greater Columbus, 1125 College Ave., and will be open during the JCC's regular hours of operation. For $30, a Bookfair Pass may be purchased for access to all 11 of the 2013-14 events. Admission to individual Bookfair events costs $10 per nonmembers and $8 per members. Dinners require an additional fee and RSVP. Contact Cheryl Dritz at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP or call 614-231-2731 to learn more.
* Sunday, Oct. 13 -- 10 a.m., JCC. Author Bill Rabinowitz, Columbus Dispatch sports writer and author of Buckeye Rebirth: Urban Meyer, an Inspired Team, and a New Era at Ohio State, will speak at a brunch.
* Monday, Oct. 14 -- 7 p.m., JCC. Hadassah is sponsoring a dinner and author discussion with B.A. Shapiro sharing her work, The Art Forger.
* Oct. 18 -- 11:15 a.m., JCC. A program on It's a Mitzvah Grover by Ellen Fischer, will be featured. Hands-on activities, mitzvah projects and a sing-along with Marc Rossio will be part of this special Tot Shabbat.
* Oct. 20 -- 11 a.m., JCC. Author David Nirenberg will discuss his work, Anti-Judaism.
* Oct. 22 -- 7 p.m., JCC New Albany. The Fourth Annual Bookclub Night with author Francesca Segal will feature discussion her work, The Innocents.
* Oct. 24 -- 7 p.m., JCC. Nicki Bloch will discuss her book, Women of the Metro Ballet. Bloch also will be a part of the Bookfair's Local Author Expo, which will take place at 11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 27, at the JCC.
* Oct. 29 -- 7 p.m., JCC. Edward Farber will talk about his book, Raising the Kid You Love With the Ex You Hate.
Events in 2014 are set for Feb. 6, March 20 and April 24.