Woman hangs on to purse after High Street attack
A Columbus woman escaped unharmed and held on to her purse after she was attacked in broad daylight March 12 in the 2800 block of North High Street, Columbus police said.
The victim said the incident occurred at 11 a.m. March 12, when a man came up from behind and tried to steal her purse, throwing her to the ground when she resisted.
Patrons of a nearby business came out to assist, reports said, at which point the attacker pulled a semiautomatic pistol from his waistband. In doing so, the would-be robber dropped the clip from the gun, according to reports. He grabbed the clip and ran eastbound through the yards of houses on Olentangy Street, witnesses reported.
In other recent Columbus police reports:
* A Blacklick man said he was beaten, dragged into a vehicle and robbed at 1:19 a.m. March 17 after leaving a business at Oakland Park and Indianola avenues.
The victim flagged officers down at the intersection of Cleveland and Myrtle avenues, where he said his assailants dropped him off after the attack. The man said he and a friend had just left the business when he was assaulted and relieved of $80 in cash. The victim refused medical treatment, according to reports, and was released to his wife. The friend said the victim struck an occupied white van as they were walking, and when the people in the vehicle got out, she ran away and didn't see what else took place.
* Eight businesses in a building in the 4400 block of North High Street reportedly were burglarized between 9:30 and 11 a.m. March 11. In separate reports, the renters of office space estimated the loss of computers and other equipment at more than $2,300. In some of the suites, the burglars only rifled through desk drawers and took nothing, reports said.
* A Broad Meadows Boulevard woman told police she was verbally attacked and threatened with physical harm at 11:32 p.m. March 16.
* A Dublin woman filed a report with police at 8:07 a.m. March 12 stating someone used her debit card twice March 5 to make purchases totaling $49.41 at a business on East Weber Road.
* A 20-year-old Lewis Center man was arrested on a charge of kidnapping at a home on Richards Road at 10:03 p.m. March 11. The report contained no other details.