The North Columbus Civitan Club’s 2013 Summer Concert Series will begin at 7 p.m. Sunday, May 26.
The free concert series, now in its 56th consecutive year, is held at the Park of Roses gazebo. The Whetstone High School Jazz Ensemble will open the series.
“The attendance has grown from only a few to an average in excess of 750 for the individual concerts,” said Glenn Williams of the Civitan Club. “The stage is the former Fort Hayes gazebo, which was restored to brilliance by Civitans, other organizations and individuals and moved to its current location in the Columbus Park of Roses in 1976.
Williams said the concert series is probably the only free venue left for large concert bands in central Ohio.
“We feel very fortunate in that we are able to continue these free concerts thanks to the many Clintonville business and personal sponsors as well as the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department,” he said.
The series runs each Sunday through Sept. 1, with 15 concerts in all. In the event of inclement weather, the concerts are moved to the Whetstone Park shelter house.
Performance are scheduled for:
· June 3, Ohio State University Alumni Band
· June 9, Grove City Community Winds
· June 16, Brass Band of Columbus
· June 23, Columbus Chorus Sweet Adelines
· June 30, Central Ohio Brass Band
· July 7, Greater Columbus Concert Band
· July 14, Dr. Tony’s Ragtime Band
· July 21, Chapel Brass Band
· July 28, All-Ohio State Fair Band
· Aug. 4, Worthington Civic Band
· Aug. 11, Clintonville Community Choir
· Aug. 18, Servin’ (gospel quartet)
· Aug. 25, Reynoldsburg Concert Band
· Sept. 1, Clintonville Community Band and C’Ville Songsters