The library will be closed on Monday, May 26, for Memorial Day.
The following programs are offered at the Delaware County District Library, 84 E. Winter St. For information, call (740) 362-3861. Library hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Registration not required unless noted.
The Big Read is an initiative of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with the Institute of Museum and Library Services and Arts Midwest.
All programs are at the Delaware County District Library unless otherwise noted.
Story times are changed for the month of May. Story times will occur as usual from May 1 through May 16. No story times will be held from May 19 through June 6. Programs will resume June 9.
The 2008 summer reading program will begin on Sunday, June 8.
• Bilingual Family Time, for everyone, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays through May 8. Stories, songs and interaction in Spanish and English. No registration required.
• Open Story Time, for ages birth-6, 6:30 p.m. Mondays.
• Toddler Time, ages 2-3, 10 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Picture Book Time, ages 4-6, 10 a.m. Thursdays.
• Baby Time, for ages birth to 24 months, 11 a.m. Thursdays.
• The Big Read: 2 p.m. today (Sunday, April 27), Strand Theatre, 28 E. Winter St., movie, "The Great Gatsby," with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow (1974). After the show, reference librarian Stephen Cook will lead a discussion.
• The Big Read: "The Great Gatsby" facilitated book discussion at Beehive Books, 25 N. Sandusky St., 6:30 p.m., Monday, April 28.
• The Big Read: Book discussion for adults, 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 30, "The Great Gatsby."
• The Big Read: Brown bag book discussion, noon, Friday, May 2. Bring lunch to this informal discussion of "The Great Gatsby," facilitated by a member of the library staff.
• The Big Read: Curtain Players present "The Great Gatsby," 7:30 p.m., Saturday, May 3. Theatre troupe presents a readers theatre adaptation of the novel at Asbury United Methodist Church, 55 W. Lincoln Ave.
• The Big Read: Curtain Players present "The Great Gatsby," 2 p.m., Sunday, May 4. Theatre troupe presents a readers theatre adaptation of the novel at the Powell Village Green Amphitheatre, 47 Hall St., Powell.
• The Big Read: 1 p.m.., Tuesday, May 6. Senior book discussion of "The Great Gatsby" at the Center for Older Adults of Delaware County, 800 Cheshire Road.
• The Big Read: 1 p.m., Wednesday, May 7. "Become a Better Book Group: Practical advice for forming a book discussion group or making your current group shine." Center for Older Adults of Delaware County, 800 Cheshire Road.
• The Big Read: noon, Friday, May 9. Brown bag book discussion. Bring your lunch to this informal discussion of the novel facilitated by one of the library staff.
• The Big Read: "West Egg Party," 7 p.m., Saturday, May 10. End the month-long celebration of "The Great Gatsby" with a Gatsby-style party. The new Friends of the Library will launch the organization with an evening of jazz.
• Gigantic books sale! 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, May 17, from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, May 18, and in the Words on Wheels (WOW) Mobile garage, on the library's west side. For sale are bestsellers, old favorites, children's books, magazines, videos and DVDs. Proceeds benefit the Friends of the Delaware County District Library.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 20, "Caring for Pets and Wildlife," a program with special guests, human and canine, from the Humane Society of Delaware County.
• Book discussion for adults, 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 28, "The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse," by Louise Erdich.
• Rep. Jon Peterson, 10 a.m. to noon, Thursday, May 29. No appointment is necessary