Fan donations offer relief for county residents
The skyrocketing temperatures are making for some hot residents in Delaware County.
People in Need and the Delaware County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management are teaming up to solicit donations of new box fans for those in need of a cool down.
Sandy Mackey, public information officer for Delaware County emergency management, said late last week that People in Need has only a dozen fans left, and the need will grow as the temperature rises.
Temperatures neared 100 on Thursday, June 28, and were predicted to be in the mid-90s through at least Tuesday, July 3.
"These temperatures are stifling," Mackey said. "We want to help people be cool and comfortable in order to get through the heat."
In 2011, People in Need provided assistance to more than 16,000 people in Delaware County who had various needs, including senior citizens and disabled people.
They are asking for new box fans to be dropped off at 25 locations around the county.
Those who want to donate money toward the purchase of a new fan are invited to contribute to People in Need, Mackey said.
She said a new fan can be purchased for $15 to $20. Used fans are not being accepted at this time.
"For less than $20, you can make a difference for people in need," Mackey said. "It's not air conditioning or a pool, but it's enough to help someone get through the summer."
The program is ongoing, but Mackey said the sooner the fans can get in the hands of those who need them, the better due to the substantial heat.
For more information, call 740-363-6284.
Fans may be donated at the following locations:
* Berlin Township Fire Department, 2708 Lackey Old State Road, Delaware;
* BST&G Fire District, 350 W. Cherry St., Sunbury;
* Concord Township Fire Department, 7943 Dublin Road, Delaware;
* Delaware fire stations at 99 S. Liberty St. and 683 Pittsburg Drive in Delaware;
* Delaware County EMS stations at 909 U.S. Route 23 N. in Delaware, 283 W. Granville St. in Sunbury, 6226 Third Ave. in Lewis Center, 4095 state Route 203 in Radnor, 245 W. High St. in Ashley, 12844 Olive Green Road in Sunbury, 7177-A Northgate Way in Westerville, 6457 U.S. Route 36 W. in Ostrander, 13961 Woodtown Road in Galena, and 2708 Lackey Old State Road in Delaware;
* Genoa Township Fire Department, 7049 Big Walnut Road, Galena;
* Harlem Township Fire Department, 3883 S. state Route 605, Galena;
* Liberty Township fire stations at 7761 Liberty Road and 10150 Sawmill Road in Powell;
* Orange Township fire stations at 7700 Gooding Blvd. in Delaware and 7307 S. Old State Road in Lewis Center;
* Porter/Kingston Fire District, 12844 Olive Green Road, Sunbury;
* Powell Police Department, 47 Hall St., Powell; and
* Tri-Township fire stations at 495 Sunbury Road and 660 Coover Road in Delaware.