DCHS programs to note 100th anniversary of flood
This March 1913 photograph shows North Sandusky Street, looking south.
The Delaware County Historical Society will recognize the 100th anniversary of the 1913 Delaware flood with several programs, beginning at 10 a.m. Monday, March 25, when a commemorative plaque will be dedicated beside the pedestrian path between William and Winter streets, on the west bank of the Olentangy River.
Representatives from the city of Delaware and the Delaware County Historical Society will speak during the ceremony.
A program about the devastating flood and its grim aftermath will be held at 7 p.m. March 25, at Willis Intermediate School, 74 W. William St.
“The Great Flood of 1913: Could It Happen Again?,” will feature DCHS president and local history expert Brent Carson and Ben O’Dell of the Army Corps of Engineers. Carson will show pictures of the flood and the damage it left behind and share information reported in 1913 newspapers. Carson also will show never-before-seen video clips of flood survivors describing their personal experiences.
O’Dell, the Delaware Dam’s resource manager, will discuss flood control in the county, including how water levels in Delaware Lake, the Olentangy River and the Ohio River are handled.
The Willis program is free and open to the public.
“Flood walks” conducted by Carson will be held on multiple dates: At noon, 2 and 4 p.m. Saturday, March 30, at noon, 2 and 4 p.m. Saturday, April 6 and at 2 and 4 p.m. Sunday, April 7.
The walks will begin and end at the Delaware County Historical Society’s Cryder Historical Center at 157 E. William St. The route will head north on Little Street to Winter, west on East Winter Street to Sandusky, south on North Sandusky to the Ohio Wesleyan University campus, east through the campus, following Delaware Run, to Henry Street, north on Henry to William and east on East William to the historical society.
Tickets for the walk are $10 for adults, $5 for children and students through college age and $20 per family. The walking tours are limited to 30 people each; advance reservations are required.
Call the DCHS at 740-369-3831 or visit delawareohiohistory.org. Tickets for the walk also are available at Beehive Books, 35 N. Sandusky St., Delaware.