A drunk man was arrested after he was found sleeping inside City Hall, 1 S. Sandusky St., early Saturday morning, Delaware police said.
Capt. Adam Moore said an officer responded to a burglar alarm at about 4 a.m. March 30 at City Hall. The intruder, a 22 year-old resident of London Road in Delaware, was discovered on the second floor in city council chambers, asleep in the seat of city Councilman Andrew Brush.
He was arrested and charged with criminal trespass and disorderly conduct by intoxication. He could face a maxi-mum of 30 days in jail if he is convicted of the misdemeanor offense.
It's unclear how he got into the locked building, Moore said. Police discovered no broken windows or any other indication of forced entry.
Moore said a door may have been left propped open by accident. The man has no connection to City Hall and did not have a key.
He was too intoxicated to explain himself when he was found, Moore said. He speculated the man was probably just confused and looking for somewhere to sleep.
"There wasn't any threat to anyone," Moore said. "I think he was just intoxicated and went into the door and ended up in the wrong place."
City council made plans to beef up security at City Hall months ago. The city's 2013 budget includes plans to replace three exterior wooden doors with sturdier doors that include electronic swipe-card entry.
City Community Affairs Coordinator Lee Yoakum said the old doors were old and drafty, but there is no history of doors being left open or unlocked.
"We thought it was time to update the doors so we could have keyless entry for after-hours access, and take advantage of the new technology that's available to us," Yoakum said.
After the incident last weekend, he said the news doors will be installed shortly.
In other reports from the Delaware police department:
* A Delaware woman reported an unknown person had entered her home in the first block of Ohio Street between 1 p.m. March 23 and 8:40 a.m. March 28 while she was away.
It was not apparent that anything was missing and there were no suspects at the time of the report.
* A burglary took place between 10 p.m. March 30 and 1:08 a.m. March 31 at a residence in the 200 block of Fairway Road, police said.
* Officers investigated a vacant Delaware residence after noticing a door standing open about 9 a.m. March 29 in the 300 block of Eastwood Avenue. It was discovered that someone had forcibly entered the home, the report stated. No items were reported stolen.
* A handgun was stolen between 4 p.m. March 30 and 2 a.m. March 31 from a home in the 400 block of North Sandusky Street, police said.
* A Delaware man said someone punctured a tire on his vehicle and spray painted the exterior between 8 p.m. March 30 and 10:30 a.m. March 31 while it was parked outside his residence in the 200 block of South Sandusky Street.
* A Delaware resident reported someone forced entry into his vehicle and stole unspecified property between 7:30 a.m. March 19 and 11:30 a.m. March 29 while it was parked in the first block of Winter Street.
* Two men caught firing rifles in the woods behind a Delaware business in the 200 block of Vernon Avenue at 10:15 a.m. March 1 fled on foot when confronted by police, according to a report.
The two were later located and charged for firing the weapons and fleeing police, the report said.
* A Delaware man residing in the 500 block of Kingsbury Road in Delaware reported someone used his credit card information between noon March 8 and noon March 15 to make fraudulent purchases totaling $406.
* Police tracked down a loose dog after it bit a Delaware resident at 2:45 p.m. April 1 in a parking lot outside a business in the 100 block of North Sandusky Street. The victim was bit while attempting to corral the dog, a report stated. After police arrived, the dog was located and quarantined.
Delaware County Sheriff's Office
* A diamond ring worth $12,000 was reported stolen between 5 p.m. March 18 and 10:35 a.m. March 20 from a residence in the 1800 block of Timber Lake Drive in Delaware.
* A concrete gargoyle statue and a stone chair were damaged between 1 and 9 a.m. March 18 outside a residence in the 8600 block of Kirkland Drive in Lewis Center. Damages totaled $1,050, according to a report.
* Property worth $504 was stolen between 8 p.m. March 26 and 12:45 p.m. March 27 from a car parked outside a residence in the 4800 block of Dildine Road in Delaware, the sheriff's office said. Stolen items include a satellite radio receiver, a GPS device and a wallet.