Preservation Parks news
For more information about Preservation Parks of Delaware County or to register for a program, call 740-524-8600, extension 3 or e-mail register@ preservationparks.com. The offices of Preservation Parks are at 2656 Hogback Road in Sunbury.
Register for these programs:
• “Leaf Lesson,” 2 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 13. Identify leaves using a picture guide, then trace a leaf or two on a pumpkin and carve out the design. All ages. Cost is $5 for materials. Registration is due Oct. 6. Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road.
• Preschool Park Pals program, “Leaves Are Falling,” 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 17. Free program for ages 4 and 5 will include a short hike. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road. Registration due by Oct. 10.
No registration is required for these programs:
• Monarch Magic, noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 22. Watch a video, make a craft and take part in other activities. Butterflies will be tagged and released at 2 p.m. each day. All ages. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road.
• Railroad Fun, noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 22. The Delaware County Model Railroaders Group will run the trains and discuss the history of railroads in America. All ages. Big Walnut Community Trail, 168 S. Vernon St.
• Golden Marathon, 9:30 a.m., Monday, Sept. 23. Join Preservation Parks and the Delaware County Senior Center for this walk for older adults. Mingo Park, 500 E. Lincoln St., Delaware.
• “Scaly, Not Scary,” 5 to 8 p.m., Friday, Sept. 27. Learn the truth about reptiles, including snakes. All ages. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road.
• Mushroom Mayhem, 2 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 29. Hunt for mushrooms during an early fall hike, and learn which ones are edible and/or used for medicinal purposes. Ages 8 and older. Char-Mar Ridge Preserve, 7741 Lewis Center Road.
• Golden Marathon, 9:30 a.m., Monday, Sept. 30. Hike for older adults. Hoover Reservoir; meet at Mudflats Grille, 31 S. Columbus St., Galena.
• “Soup’s On!” 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5. How did a frugal 1930s wife feed her family with limited resources? Learn soup-making and taste three stand-by soups. Kids will take home bean soup mix. Ages 7 and older. Gallant Farm Preserve, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road.