A dead bat found in Sunbury has tested positive for rabies, according to the Delaware General Health District.
The bat was discovered Tuesday, April 29, outside a home in Sunbury. The home’s occupants were advised to consult their doctor about possible precautionary treatments against rabies because of potential exposure.
Health district officials said residents should be aware of potential exposure even if a bite from a rabid bat has not occurred. Residents who find a bat in the room of an unattended child or see a bat near a mentally impaired or intoxicated person should seek medical advice and contact the health district to have the bat tested, district leaders said.
If a bat is found inside a home, it should be shut inside an unoccupied room. To capture a bat, approach it slowly while wearing heavy gloves and place a box or coffee can over it. Slide a piece of cardboard under the container to trap the bat inside. Tape the cardboard to the container securely and punch holes in the cardboard to allow the bat to breathe. Then contact the health district to make arrangements for rabies testing.
Residents are asked to contact the health district if they are exposed to a bat.
For more information, visit delawarehealth.org or call 740-368-1700.