For more information about Preservation Parks of Delaware County or to register for a program, call 740-524-8600, extension 3 or email register@preservation parks.com. The offices are at 2656 Hogback Road in Sunbury.
Register to attend these programs:
* Antique Tractor Show, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 2, See the machines that made farm life easier at Gallant Farm, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Roa.Tractor registration begins at 8 a.m. and the show opens to the public at 10 a.m. For more information, call Gallant Farm at 740-595-3020.
* Astonishing Race 2014: 6:30 p.m., Sunday, August 3. The Astonishing Race is Preservation Parks' version of The Amazing Race. Form a team of two or more to compete against others as you complete various challenges. The first team to finish with the best time wins the grand prize. Join us for this healthy competition at Shale Hollow Preserve, 6320 Artesian Road. Participation is free but register by July 30. Call 740-524-8600, ext. 3 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
* Register now for Perseid Meteor Shower Campout: 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9 to 9 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 10, at Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Road. The Perseid Meteors flash across the sky in mid-August. This annual meteor shower is actually debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle. Every year, the earth passes through the debris cloud left by the comet when the earth's atmosphere is bombarded by what are popularly known as falling stars. Bring your own food, drinking water and camping gear; we'll provide telescopes and activities. To register, call 740-524-8600, ext. 6, or e-mail: email@example.com.
No registration is necessary to attend these programs:
* Railroad Fun, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sunday, July 20. Watch model trains and learn about the railroad industry. The display includes a miniature landscaped village and surrounding countryside. All ages. Big Walnut Community Trail, 168 S. Vernon St.
* Insects on the Prairie, 7 p.m., Sunday, July 20. Catch insects. closely examine and then release them. Nets and containers will be provided. All ages. Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Road.
* Golden Marathon, 9:30 a.m., Monday, July 21. Take a one- to two-mile hike for older adults. Mingo Park, East Lincoln Avenue, Delaware.
* Thursday Evening Concerts in the Park, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday, July 24. The Zen Band will perform this free concert. Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic. Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road.
* Hardworking Honeybees, 3 p.m., Sunday, July 27. Join a beekeeper to learn about the benefits of these insects. Taste different kinds of honey and look for honeybees and native bees. All ages. Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road.
* Golden Marathon, 9:30 a.m., Monday, July 28. Take a one- to two-mile hike for older adults. Hogback Ridge Preserve, 2656 Hogback Road.
* Thursday Evening Concerts in the Park, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday, July 31. Join us for a free concert featuring The Rachel Karryn Band. Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic. Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road.