Delaware police are searching for a man suspected of stealing a woman's cellphone after she allegedly discovered him in the midst of a string of burglaries on the city's east side.
A woman called police to report suspicious activity that occurred shortly before 5 a.m. Aug. 8 in the first block of Fieldcrest Drive. Delaware police Capt. Adam Moore said the woman saw a man carrying tools and walking between houses in her neighborhood.
When the witness confronted the man, he dropped the tools and headed for his car in an attempt to obscure his license plate, Moore said. He said the unknown suspect stole the witness' cellphone as she was attempting to photograph his license plate.
The woman ran after the suspect, but relented after he threatened her with injury, Moore said. He added that the woman suffered cuts and bruises during the confrontation.
Police suspect the man in multiple burglaries of sheds and garages that resulted in the theft of hundreds of dollars worth of tools that night on Fieldcrest and Glengary drives, according to reports.
Moore said the suspect was described as a white or Hispanic man, about 5-feet, 10-inches tall, with an average build. The suspect's car was described as a gold Honda.
Anyone with information on the crimes may call the Delaware Police Department at 740-203-1111.
In other recent Delaware police reports:
* An employee reported a felony theft that occurred between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Aug. 6 at a business in the 800 block of North Houk Road. The woman said her wallet, which contained a credit card and a driver's license, was stolen from a locker.
* A woman reported multiple items were stolen from her unlocked car between 7:30 p.m. Aug. 8 and 7:30 a.m. Aug. 9 in the 100 block of Lippazon Way.A baton valued at $90; handcuffs valued at $50; a bottle of whiskey valued at $50; $100 worth of ammunition; and multiple gun accessories were stolen from the car, according to police reports.
* A man reported his home was burglarized between 6 and 10:45 a.m. Aug. 8 in the 700 block of Liberty Road. An investigation into the incident is pending, according to police records.
* Two women reported a felony theft that occurred shortly after 9:30 p.m. Aug. 8 at a business in the first block of West Winter Street. The investigation is inactive pending further information, according to police reports.
* A Delaware man faces multiple charges after police responded to a domestic violence report shortly after 4 p.m. Aug. 6 at an apartment complex in the city. After arriving on scene, police arrested Jarell Sanders, 25, according to police reports.
Sanders faces charges of aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; simple assault, a first-degree misdemeanor; and disorderly conduct, a minor misdemeanor, according to police reports.
* Police responded to the 100 block of Penick Avenue shortly after 9 a.m. Aug. 6 to a report of illegal hunting. A man claimed his neighbor had been killing squirrels in the area, according to police reports.
A man reported his home was burglarized between 1 and 10 p.m. Aug. 3 in the 1900 block of Rome Corners Road in Berkshire Township. Two televisions, together valued at $1,200, and a laptop computer worth $1,200 were stolen, according to Delaware County Sheriff's reports.
* An unknown suspect burglarized a home between noon and 5:15 p.m. Aug. 5 in the 5700 block of Sherman Road in Berlin Township, according to sheriff's reports. The suspect took a diamond valued at $1,534; a video-game console valued at $600; a coffee can containing $300; and a wallet worth $20, reports said.
* A woman reported her purse was stolen from her car between 5:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Aug. 1 while it was parked at a business in the 7700 block of state Route 37 East in Berkshire Township. The purse contained multiple prescription pills, according to sheriff's reports.
* Deputies responded to a business in the 100 block of South Three B's and K Road in Berlin Township shortly after 8:45 p.m. Aug. 3 after a report of an altercation involving a gun. Deputies arrested a Delaware man, who faces a misdemeanor charge of aggravated menacing, according to sheriff's reports.