Rocky Fork Enterprise

Compensation structure change

School board approves new three-year contract for Valladares

By

The Gahanna-Jefferson Board of Education approved a three-year contract Dec. 13 for treasurer Julio Valladares.

His annual total compensation, including salary and benefits, will increase from about $146,517 to about $148,517.

The contract, effective Aug. 1, 2013, through July 31, 2016, requires Valladares to pay the employee share of his School Employees Retirement System (SERS) contributions through payroll deductions.

Board member Jill Schuler, who praised Valladares for his transparency, said she isn't embarrassed to tell how much the administrators make because they earn it.

Under the terms of the contract, the board will pay Valladares up to $2,000 in August of each year of the contract, based on the determination that he has accomplished the board president's established goals. Valladares' total compensation package under the new contract is $148, 517.

Under the new contract, he will also pay for 20 percent of the cost for his enrollment in medical, prescriptions, dental and other group health benefits offered by the board, with the board paying the remaining 80 percent of such cost.

Valladares will also pay the employee share of the Medicare tax.

His current base salary is $113,300, with an annuity of $16,995, a Medicare payment of $1,889 and the district paying $14,332 in employee contributions to SERS, for a total compensation rounded to $146,517.

In his new contract, Valladares' base salary will be $146,517, with a $2,000 annuity, no paid Medicare and no employee contribution to SERS, for a total compensation of $148,517.

"We've had an interesting year with changes in the evaluation process and salary structure," board president Claire Yoder said.

"You continue to be a rock to us," she told Valladares. "The finances change every hour. You're on top of it. You've made it a pleasure to work with you in things we've done."

Board member Heather Bishoff said no other school district pays how G-J pays the treasurer and superintendent.

"It was easier to do with Mr. Scruci (because he was new)," she said. "With Julio, it's scarier because there was nothing to gain there. I'm tremendously appreciative of your commitment to the school system."

Valladares said he appreciates the support of the board and administration.

"I look forward to being your treasurer and doing the right thing," he said.

In October, Gahanna-Jefferson was recognized for the 20th consecutive year for excellence in financial reporting.

Jamie Nicholson, state representative for the Ohio Government Finance Officers Association, presented to Valladares a certificate of achievement for excellence in financial reporting.

"I'd say they are out in front of their peers," he told ThisWeek. "Not every city or village does a CAFR (comprehensive annual financial report). There's additional work. It's a commitment of time and effort."

Valladares has worked as G-J treasurer since 2003. He said the award shows the district is fiscally responsible in safeguarding the community's investment.

The board also recognized outgoing member Bishoff, who won her bid in November for the Ohio House of Representatives' 20th District seat.

"We're proud to wish you the best of luck, and we want to take this opportunity to thank you for your service," Scruci said.

He said he was proud of the way Bishoff had run her campaign.

"If you'd asked me a year ago if I would be doing this, I would have laughed," she said. "It's not just my kids in the school system. ... With almost 2 million kids in the state, the one thing we can give them is an education. I put myself out there for all of you. I care about every single one of your children."

Scruci said the board has a tough job ahead, with 23 applicants to fill Bishoff's seat.

"The board could have narrowed 23 down, but the board felt it was important that 23 showed interest," he said. "They're giving each an opportunity to speak to them."

Initial interviews started Dec. 14 and 15.

In other action, the board set the 2013 reorganizational meeting for 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan 10, at Clark Hall, 380 Granville St. A public hearing on the proposed budget will follow at 6:15 p.m. Copies of the proposed budget will be on file in the office of the treasurer by Jan. 1, 2013.

Comments