Gahanna police recently responded to reports of unexplained noises ranging from what could be a gunshot to the opening of a garage door.
A resident in the 100 block of James Road reported hearing a gunshot at 7:48 a.m. Dec. 15. The resident said the shot sounded as though it had come from the south side of her residence. She couldn't tell whether it was a large- or small-caliber weapon, but she said it was "just a distinctive gunshot." Police spoke to others area residents, but they didn't hear anything. An airport representative also told police they hadn't received any reports nor used any noise to keep birds off the runway.
A Sleeping Meadow Drive resident said she heard her garage door open at 1:15 a.m. Dec. 15. She closed the door, but her dog kept growling at the door leading to the garage from the kitchen. The garage was checked, and there were no signs of anyone around, according to reports.
In other Gahanna police incident reports:
* Police were told a washing machine or dishwater was in the grass off the Hamilton Road ramp, heading onto Interstate 270 northbound, at 9:26 p.m. Dec. 18.
* Appliances were reported stolen from a kitchen at the Residences at Central Park, 800 Ellington Circle at 8:02 a.m. Dec. 16.
* An odor of natural gas was reported at the Northeast School, 500 N. Hamilton Road, at 8:36 a.m. Dec. 17. A woman said she also smelled gas there about 11:30 p.m. the night before. Mifflin Township firefighters checked the scene and called Columbia Gas to address the issue.
* A deer was killed in the yard of a residence in the 600 block of North Hamilton Road, according to a complaint filed at 11:42 a.m. Dec. 16. The incident involved trespassing, according to reports.
* Tires were slashed on a vehicle in the first block of Imperial Drive, according to a vandalism report received at 9:58 a.m. Dec. 15.
* A safe was emptied at Family Physicians of Gahanna, 535 Officenter Place. The Franklin County Sheriff's Office called Gahanna police at 7:45 a.m. Dec. 14 regarding the burglary that occurred the night before.
* Some kids were in the Raising Cane's parking lot, 1320 N. Hamilton Road, playing loud music and dancing inappropriately, according to a complaint filed at 10:01 p.m. Dec. 13.
* Three men were selling furniture on Sleeping Meadows Drive at 2:28 p.m. Dec. 13. An anonymous caller said he was concerned because they were going to residences where no one was home. The men had permits, according to reports.
* Money was stolen from a student's locker at Middle School South, 349 Shady Springs Drive, according to a theft report received at 10:26 a.m. Dec. 13.