Tour homes histories reflect lives of early residents
The homes and gardens included in this year's Haus und Garten Tour are not only beautiful, but have a history going back, in most cases, to the 1800s.
Their significance is also a reflection of the lives and contributions of their early residents.
* 138 Sycamore -- In 1898, Mrs. Anna Schassberger, a midwife, lived at this address with her husband, Fritz, and son Leo.
She was born in 1864 in Germany and immigrated in 1891.
* 143 Whittier -- In 1888, Christian Metzger, a laborer, resided at this address with his wife, Johanna.
He was born in 1828 in Germany and they would have six children: Adam, Margaret, Christina, William and Michael.
* 862 Mohawk -- In 1908, John Castrop, blacksmith for the C.&O. Railroad, resided at this address with his wife, Florence, and son Fredrick, a shoemaker.
When he died in 1939, he had seven grandchildren and one great grandson.
* 689 South Third -- In 1878, printer George Coffee lived at this address.
Single when he lived there, he would later marry Maria and they would have a daughter, Lotta. He was born in 1858 of Irish parents.
* 247 E. Sycamore -- Elmer and Anna Stehle resided at this address in 1928.
He worked as a steamfitter and they had three daughters: Bernice, Lucile, and Pauline.
* 615 City Park -- In 1887, Charles Cullman, a gunsmith, lived at this address with his brother, Frank, a fireman.
He was born in 1855 in Columbus and died in 1917.
* 220 E. Sycamore -- In 1898, Adam and Christina Bietsch resided at this address.
Adam, a stonecutter, was born in Germany in 1847 and immigrated in 1867. They had three daughters: Nora, Caroline and Cora. He died in 1924.
* 124 Lansing -- In 1898, Henry Eitel lived at this address with his wife, Anna, and their two children Martin and Irwin.
Henry was born in 1870 in Germany and immigrated in 1886.
* 633 South Fifth -- In 1888, Stephen Gessner, a tailor, resided at this location with his wife, Matilda, and son, Alma. Their son was born March 11, 1886.
* 1054 Jaeger -- In 1888, Jacob Clemens lived at this location with his wife, Susan, and daughters, Ada and Emma.
He worked as a wood turner and served in the Civil War as a bugler. He was born in 1845 in Germany and immigrated in 1849.
* 966 S. High -- "In 1888, the Columbus Maennerchor was founded as a men's chorus by 12 German immigrants eager to preserve the music and memories of their homeland, here, and in the chosen land," according to the group's website.
* 147 E. Deshler -- In 1888, Fredrick Wittenmeier and his wife, Agnes, lived at this location with their four children Olga, Erwin, Hertha and Edgar.
He was born in Germany in 1849 and immigrated in 1868. He was a contractor at a stone yard and eventually became president of his own construction company.
* 132 Reinhard -- In 1888, Frank G. Kronenbitter, a clerk, resided at this location with his wife, Matilda, and three children: Villetta, Catherine, and Frank.
Born in 1857, of German and French parents, he spent most of his life working as a bookkeeper.
* 923 City Park -- In 1889, Henry C. Reeb lived at this address with his wife, Anna.
He was listed at various times as working as a clerk and a driver.
David Randall submitted the Village Notebook column.