The sounds of thieves trying to steal his copper downspouts provided an early morning alarm to a local resident, Columbus police reported.
The resident told police that around 5:15 a.m. July 24, he rushed outside to find one of the copper downspouts lying on the ground of his house in the 500 block of South Fourth Street.
He told police he believed a neighbor's motion-activated lights scared off the would-be thief.
The downspouts weren't taken but $300 worth of damage was done in the attempted theft, police reports said.
In other recent local incident reports from the Columbus Division of Police:
* A $500 lawn mower was stolen between 3 and 9 p.m. July 24 from a house in the 300 block of East Sycamore Street.
* Between 9 p.m. July 26 and 9 a.m. July 27, someone entered an unattached garage in the 300 block of East Sycamore Street and stole two bicycles -- one valued at $3,500 and the other worth $1,500 -- and $700 worth of tools.
* A resident told police she was the victim of a theft at 2:09 p.m. July 28 near the intersection of Reinhard Avenue and Jaeger Street.
She told police a male suspect approached her and asked to use her $800 phone. She said no at first but when he approached her again, she handed over her phone to let him use it. He ran off with it.
* A 31-year-old Columbus woman reported she was the victim of purse-snatching July 27 on South Pearl Street.
She told police that around 8:39 p.m. July 27, someone stole her purse and fled the scene. The thief made off with the $60 purse, which contained a $500 phone and $200 cash.
A specific location on South Pearl Street was not listed in the report.
* A thief stole $1,200 worth of merchandise that was boxed up in preparation for a move. The victim told police that between 9 a.m. July 16 and 4:30 p.m. July 24, the suspect entered the house in the 400 block of East Columbus Street. The suspect made off with food, household goods, tools, clothes and other items.
* A 36-year-old woman said someone attempted to steal her vehicle while it was parked in the 200 block of East Deshler Avenue. The crime occurred between midnight and 6 a.m. July 24, the victim told police.
* An attempted burglary was foiled at 11:54 p.m. July 29 in the 400 block of East Deshler Avenue.
The victim told police that as the suspect tried to enter the house, the victim tapped his finger on the window, frightening away the would-be intruder.