A man's quick action foiled the theft of copper downspouts from a house in the 700 block of South Fifth Street, Columbus police reported.
The resident told police that about 9:53 a.m. July 31 he heard noise coming from the rear of his residence. The man looked out and saw a suspect, who had just ripped off a 10-foot section of copper downspout from the side of the residence, police reports said.
The resident chased the suspect toward the front of the house, and the suspect dropped the property. The suspect fled on foot and the man called the police.
Damage was estimated at $350.
In another incident, a couple reported two copper downspouts stolen off their house in the 600 block of City Park Avenue.
The couple told police the theft occurred between 9 and 11 a.m. July 31. The downspouts were valued at $500.
In other recent local incident reports from the Columbus Division of Police:
* Items valued at $1,675 were reported stolen in a burglary at a residence in the 700 block of Jaeger Street. Included were a $1,500 laptop, $75 cash, $100 wallet, identification and miscellaneous credit cards. The resident told police the crime occurred between 11:23 p.m. Aug. 3 and 7:23 a.m. Aug. 4, while she was asleep upstairs.
* Three motor vehicle break-ins were reported between midnight and 6 a.m. Aug. 3.
Two of the targeted vehicles were parked at Purdy Alley and Whittier Street.
In one incident, miscellaneous items valued at $1,000 were stolen. In the other, a cellphone, charger and cords were taken. Their estimated value was not listed in the report.
Thieves ransacked another car parked in the 200 block of Reinhard Avenue. The owner reported $10 cash and other merchandise were stolen.
* A $230 MP3 player was stolen between 1 and 8 a.m. Aug. 3 from a vehicle parked in the 300 block of Jackson Street.
The owner told police the suspect smashed out the passenger-side window to gain entry.
* Someone broke into a vacant building in the 400 block of East Sycamore Street. The owner reported the crime occurred between 8 a.m. Aug. 4 and 8 a.m. Aug. 5. The building is under construction and nothing appeared to have been taken, reports said.
* A $30,000 Hyundai Azera was stolen between 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Aug. 5 while it was parked in a garage in the 300 block of Thurman Avenue. The model year of the vehicle was not listed in the report.