German Village Gazette

Police beat

German Village: Lost wallet quickly results in fraudulent card charges

A German Village man said he was the victim of fraud after misplacing his keys and wallet Aug. 10, Columbus police reported.

About 9:45 a.m., as he was walking from his house in the 300 block of East Kossuth Street to South High Street, he lost his wallet and keys. Although, he recovered his keys, he discovered someone had used his debit card -- which was inside the lost wallet -- to make a fraudulent purchase. Two later attempts to use the card were unsuccessful.

In other recent German Village-area incident reports from the Columbus Division of Police:

* Someone smashed the rear door to a house in the 400 block of East Kossuth Street and stole a $600 bicycle around 4:30 a.m. Aug. 12. The victim told police that $1,000 damage was done to the door.

* Copper downspouting valued at $400 was stolen from a house in the 700 block of South Fifth Street about 4:35 a.m. Aug. 12. The homeowner told police he was awakened by a loud noise and went outside to see a suspect stealing the downspout. The homeowner said he chased the suspect, who fled south on South Fifth Street and got away.

* Between 8:21 p.m. Aug. 6 and 7:20 a.m. Aug. 7, more than $1,350 worth of exercise equipment, gym clothing and a gym bag were stolen from a car parked in the 200 block of East Kossuth Street.

* About 2:41 p.m. Aug. 8, someone broke into a vehicle parked in the 300 block of East Whittier Street and stole $50 in change.

* A 53-year-old man was arrested for disorderly conduct 8 p.m. Aug. 13. Police said they were called to the intersection of Pearl and Beck streets to check on the man's well-being and subsequently made the arrest.

* A $4,000 Volkswagen GTI was stolen between 8 p.m. Aug. 13 and 7 a.m. Aug. 14 from the 200 block of East Columbus Street.

* A $350 iPod touch was reported stolen between 9:30 and 11:15 p.m. Aug. 9 from St. Mary Catholic School, 500 S. Third St.

* A Mohawk Street resident reported she was the victim of menacing Aug. 8. She told police she received a call from a man who stated she damaged his car and left her number on his windshield. The caller screamed, cursed and threatened her in the call.

The resident said she had not been involved in any accidents and an officer observed no damage to her vehicle. An attempt was made to contact the caller, through the number that appeared on the victim's phone, but it was in invalid number, police reported.