A century of achievements at FCC
First Community Church has logged a number of notable achievements over its 100 year history. Here is a timeline of some of the highlights:
April 18, 1909 - A committee of citizens from Marble Cliff organize the first Sunday school classes in the suburban Columbus area. Classes meet in the Harding School on Fairview Avenue.
April 27, 1910 - Grandview Heights Congregational Church is chartered after area residents determine they wanted a church. The group chose the denomination favored by the majority.
Sept. 3, 1910 - Fred L. Brownlee is hired as the church's first minister.
Dec. 3, 1911 - The dedication of what is now known as Lincoln Road Chapel is held.
June 17, 1916 - The first Field Day is held.
Feb. 7, 1917 - The Ladies' Aid Society reorganizes as the Women's Guild of First Community Church.
Jan. 24, 1919 - The congregation votes unanimously to sever ties with the Congregational Church, believing a nondenominational church would better serve the community.
Feb. 12, 1919 - The congregation approves a re-organization as First Community Church.
June 14, 1919 - The first movie is shown at the church at the end of Field Day activities. This is the first theater in the Tri-Village area.
Jan. 21, 1924 - Groundbreaking is held for a new church building at 1320 Cambridge Blvd.
May 18, 1924 - The cornerstone laying ceremony is held at which Rev. McIlyar H. Lichliter describes First Community as "the church of the infinite quest."
Jan. 3, 1925 - The church building at 1320 Cambridge is dedicated.
Jan. 13, 1935 - The ministry of Dr. Roy A. Burkhart begins.
March 12, 1943 - The first minstrel show by the Men's Glee Club of First Community Church is staged at Upper Arlington High School. The show is now known as Vaud-Villities.
May 1946 - The National Council of Community Churches is founded. Roy Burkhart is selected as first president.
February 1947 - John Galbreath gives a 160-acre farm in Hocking County to Burkhart.
May 22, 1948 - The congregation approves the purchase of 40 additional acres to build a camp on the Hocking Hills site.
Nov. 7, 1948 - The worship service is first broadcast on WRFD radio.
May 22, 1949 - Camp Akita is dedicated as a retreat and worship center.
Spring 1950 - A poll of 100,000 clergymen conducted by "The Christian Century" names First Community Church as one of the 12 great churches in America.
May 14, 1951 - The laying of the cornerstone for the south education wing at 1320 Cambridge is held.
Dec. 7, 1952 - The dedication of the education wing is held.
Feb. 3, 1953 - The Tri-Village Trading Post opens.
Sept. 15, 1957 - First Community becomes the only church in Ohio with closed circuit television.
March 1, 1959 - A "Golden Sunday" 50th anniversary service is held at Veterans Memorial.
October 1959 - The church begins affiliations with the United Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ.
Feb. 18, 1962 - The groundbreaking for First Community Village is held.
Feb. 1, 1963 - The first residents move into First Community Village.
Feb. 1, 1964 - The Pastoral Counseling Center opens.
February 1973 - The Ministry to Older Persons is established.
1977 - The new Wineskins Center opens.
August 1978 - The Child Care Center opens.
December 1978 - The Family Life Ministry is established.
December 1980 - The Christmas Eve service is televised by Warner QUBE.
Fall 1984 - Monday night meals mission for the homeless begins.
April 14, 1985 - The television broadcast of "First Edition" begins on WTTE.
September 1985 - Project Adelphos, now known as Heart to Heart, is established.
April 23, 1991 - Groundbreaking for the Center for Extended Ministry is held on Dublin Road.
August 1991 - The Child Care Center is moved to the Dublin Road facility and renamed the Mary Evans Child Development Center.
Dec. 8, 1991 - The first worship service is held at the North Campus.
May 17, 1992 - Dedication of the Center for Extended Ministry, now known as the North Campus, is held. Reconsecration of 1320 Cambridge Blvd., now known as South Campus.
Dec. 5, 1993 - Dr. Richard A. Wing accepts call as senior minister.
Spring 1995 - The church conducts its first mission trip to Mexico.
January 1998 - The Streets Mission project begins.
Oct. 22, 2000 - Rededication of Camp Akita's new facilities.
Feb. 2, 2008 - Live worldwide streaming of the 11 a.m. Sunday service begins.
July 6, 2008 - Groundbreaking for the expansion of the North Campus Education wing.