Tri-Village News

Moment in time

Enlarge Image Buy This Photo
On Feb. 1, 1943, in Flint, Mich., 300 mothers met in response to a coupon in the Flint News Advertiser asking mothers of servicemen to complete and return it. By Feb. 6, the group decided to form an organization. Chapters of the new group were formed in Michigan, Ohio and seven other states. They called themselves the Blue Star Mothers. The Blue Star Flag was adopted by the organization and was hung in the window of every home with a serviceman; the blue star was replaced by a gold star for any that were killed while on active duty. The Tri-Village Unit of the Blue Star Mothers was organized Oct. 6, 1943, with more than 80 members. An honor board was located at the east end of the Grandview Public Library, and the first Memorial Day service was held there March 26, 1944. As the library expanded, the Blue Star Mothers were the driving force for the new and permanent location of Memorial Park at the corner of Oxley Road and Northwest Boulevard. Pictured here at the dedication May 27, 1970, are Mayor Frank Monaco and Mrs. Elroy Titus. Mrs. Titus became the last of the Tri-Village area's Blue Star Mothers. She died in 2010 at the age of 91. Although its numbers have decreased over the years, the Blue Star Mothers has again begun to grow. Chapter 9 of the Buckeye Military Moms, today's extension of the Blue Star Mothers, is still serving families and servicemen and servicewomen who help to keep our country strong. There are four Grandview families that are members of this group.