Tri-Village News

Moment in time

Enlarge Image Buy This Photo
Early in 1920, a grocery store opened at 1491 Glenn Ave. in Grandview. After changing hands several times, the store was sold to Joseph and Angelina Sconciafurno (Scono) in 1934. The store was enlarged and the Sconos started serving spaghetti and meatballs, meatball sandwiches and beer on one side, while continuing to sell groceries on the other. Soon, they gave up the groceries, and the establishment became known as the Glenn Avenue Grill. In 1943, John Buscemi bought the store and made it the center of the surrounding social life. John and Jimmie, the sons of Mr. And Mrs. Buscemi (inset), have owned the store since 1960. It continues to be a gathering place for family and friends.

Comments