Tri-Village News

Police beat

Grandview: Computer, more lost in car break-in on Goodale

Grandview Heights police officers responded twice last week to reports of thefts on West Goodale Boulevard.

A man reported his car was broken into between 9:58 and 10:29 a.m. April 19 while it was parked at the rear of a business in the 900 block of Goodale.

The driver's side window of the vehicle was shattered and a laptop computer, a briefcase, a hard drive, a calculator, a restaurant gift card and the victim's passport were stolen. Total loss was estimated at $2,150.

A man reported his wallet was stolen between 4:30 and 5:15 p.m. April 17 from his locker at LA Fitness, 850 W. Goodale Blvd. He said he believes he locked the locker before leaving it.

The man said his wallet contained $50 in cash, several credit cards and a debit card, which was used immediately to make $1,002 in unauthorized purchases.

An investigation is pending, according to reports.

Other recent Grandview police reports include:

* A man reported a laptop computer, valued at $800, was stolen April 19 from his car while it was parked in the 1200 block of Grandview Avenue. The rear passenger window was shattered to gain entry to the car.

* A man came to the police department April 16 to report his cellphone provider had contacted him about fraudulent activity on his account. The company told him personal account information had been changed and several phone lines added to the account.

* After receiving numerous suspicious calls over the past week or so, a resident of the 1500 block of Roxbury Road called police. The woman told a police officer that an unknown man had been calling several times a day but he didn't say much, mumbling much of the time.

The officer attempted to call back the phone number and found it is from a nursing home in Pickerington. A staff member at the nursing home said it was probably a resident but that all calls go through a central switchboard and it would be hard to determine which resident was making the call. The woman was advised to contact her phone company and have the number blocked if the calls continue.