Boulevard Presbyterian Church, 1235 Northwest Blvd., held a dedication recital Jan. 16, 1966, for the church's newly built Casavant pipe organ.
The organ was the only organ of its kind in the Columbus area at the time. Custom-designed and built to meet the acoustical and musical requirements of the church, the pipe organ was dedicated to the "glory of God" in December 1965.
The pipe organ fund was established in 1952 shortly after the church's sanctuary was dedicated. The organ fund grew with gifts from the church members, special dinners, socials and projects of the "Organ Interest Group."
In March 1964, the church's trustees were instructed to negotiate a contract for the purchase and installation of a pipe organ in the church. A contract was signed with the Casavant company, a century-old firm of French-Canadian craftsmen, located near Montreal.
Much work followed to create new space in the church to allow the organ to "speak right down the church nave."
In September, the organ arrived from Casavant, and installation took more than two months with the demands of tonal and mechanical design of the instrument.
The dedication recital was performed by Mr. Robert Stofer, organist and choirmaster of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Dayton.