Tri-Village News

Police beat

Thieves steal bands' gear

Wednesday December 11, 2013 10:21 AM

Dozens of guitars were stolen overnight Dec. 6 and 7 from a Williams Avenue warehouse used by many local bands as a place to rehearse and store their instruments, according to Grandview Heights police reports.

Along with the guitars -- some in their cases -- a number of amplifiers, a laptop computer, a mandolin, a ukulele and a microphone are among the items stolen.

Band members posted messages on Facebook and Reddit listing the stolen instruments -- belonging to about a dozen bands -- and asking everyone to keep an eye out for the instruments in music shops and online marketplaces.

Police reports said there was no forced entry to the building and that a lock box with a key to the building was found broken on the door that was entered. Forced entry was made into several rooms inside the building.

In other recent Grandview police reports:

* Police arrested a Jackson man Dec. 6 and charged him with impersonating an officer. Officers were dispatched to the Hyatt Hotel, 795 Yard St., on a report of a suspicious person identifying himself as a Drug Enforcement Agency agent. The man told police he was an undercover DEA agent who was in the area to purchase drugs, reports said. He agreed to let police search his hotel room and officers seized a large amount of cash, according to reports. The man was taken to the Franklin County jail.

* Copper wire was reported stolen from a vacant house in the 800 block of Thomas Road. The wire was stolen between Nov. 23 and Dec. 6.

* A Grandview woman was arrested Dec. 5 and charged with prostitution, police said. Officers had received a call about a suspicious vehicle parked in front of the woman's home on Thomas Road. Police previously had been in contact with the woman about possible illegal activity occurring in her home. After the suspicious vehicle left the scene, officers stopped it for an equipment violation. The male driver agreed to be interviewed about his activity with the woman, reports said. She subsequently was arrested and taken to the Franklin County jail.