Grandview Heights City Council members, during their meeting Monday, Jan. 6, elected Anthony Panzera to serve as council president.
Panzera previously served a term as council president in the mid-2000s. He served as vice president during his last term.
Panzera and newly elected council members Greta Kearns, Steve Papineau and Chris Smith took their oaths of office.
Council also elected Ed Hastie as vice president.
Although he has served on council since January 2001, taking the oath of office "never really gets old," Panzera said.
He thanked his colleagues for their confidence in electing him as president.
The election of three new council members "is the beginning of a new presence and a new era," Panzera said. "We all have some big shoes to fill."
Council President Steve Reynolds, P'Elizabeth Koelker and Susan Jagers opted not to run for re-election last year.
Part of the reason they felt comfortable leaving council was knowing three outstanding candidates would replace them, Panzera said.
Panzera also announced the council committee assignments for the next two years:
* Safety -- Smith, chairman; Steve Gladman and Milt Lewis.
* Recreation, services and public facilities -- Lewis, chairman; Gladman and Hastie.
* Planning and administration -- Kearns, chairwoman; Smith and Hastie.
* Finance -- Gladman, chairman; Papineau and Smith.
* Economic development -- Papineau, chairman; Kearns and Lewis.
* Communications and technology -- Hastie, chairman; Papineau and Kearns.