Nearly 10 years ago, the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society and ThisWeek Community News began a partnership feature, called Moment in Time. Since that day, 500 photographs and stories about the history of the Tri-Village area have been published. The following is a repeat of the very first feature:
Mr. Julius F. Stone was an influential Columbus industrialist and entrepreneur who lived in Grandview Heights. His home at 1065 Westwood Ave., in which he and his family lived until the mid-1940s, was razed to develop the current Stonegate Village homes.
Mr. Stone (upper right) was the owner of Ohio Buggy Works and the Seagrave Co., turn-of-the-century makers of Seagrave fire engines. Mr. Stone was a trustee of Ohio State University and president of the OSU Research Foundation. He donated quite a sum of money to the university, endowing a fellowship in biophysical research and purchasing the first OSU cyclotron.
In 1925, he donated Gibraltar Island in Lake Erie near Put-In-Bay to OSU to establish what would become the Franz Theodore Stone Lab, in honor of his father. He was active in conservation issues, and organized the first Colorado River expedition for sport in 1909. He was inducted into the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Hall of Fame in 1967.
His Harvard-educated son, Julius Stone Jr. (lower right), is credited with saving Key West, Fla., from total collapse in 1935 and re-establishing it as a mecca of tourism.
Another of Julius Stone's sons, George, was commander of the Ohio Wing of the Civil Air Patrol and was the pilot of the first plane to land at Don Scott Field in 1942.