Representatives from Franklin County, Grove City and Jackson Township will mark the completion of the second phase of the White Road renovation project with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 25, on the east side of I-71 at White Road.

Representatives from Franklin County, Grove City and Jackson Township will mark the completion of the second phase of the White Road renovation project with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 25, on the east side of I-71 at White Road.

Franklin County engineer Dean Ringle, Mayor Richard "Ike" Stage, Jackson Township trustees and administrator Mike Lilly will attend, along with members of the construction team.

Lilly said he expects White Road to be substantially completed by April 20. At that point, the 25 mph speed limit will revert back to 35 mph.

"This is now the third partnership project that we have done with Grove City and Franklin County and Jackson Township all being local partners," Lilly said.

The three entities first collaborated with the Big Run Road improvement at Central Crossing High School when the school opened in 2002. The second project was the first phase of the White Road project at the McDowell Road intersection in 2009.

"It's just a very successful way that we have leveraged local monies to obtain grant funding and to improve a valuable piece of roadway," Lilly said. "It's just too expensive to do it on your own."

Though the project originally was slated to cost $5 million, it came in at around $3.4 million, Lilly said. The majority of the project, about 92 percent, is funded by a grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission. The remaining 8 percent is equally funded by Jackson Township, Grove City and the Franklin County Engineer's Office. The 8 percent amounts to less than $300,000.

The project included a complete rebuilding and widening of the road, which has one lane in each direction.

A center turn lane was added, along with new drainage, curbs and gutters. A new bicycle path, sidewalk and street lighting also are included in the plans. Lilly said several hills have been removed, making the road much safer. About a one-mile stretch was closed between Buckeye Parkway and McDowell Road from June 6 to the end of November to completely rebuild and widen the road.

The project contractor, the Kwest Group, returned in March to complete sidewalks, bike path paving, water lines, storm drainage and street lighting.

"That's not the glamorous part of the project, but it's an important part of the project," Lilly said.

Added Stage: "Governments and private enterprise have to continue to figure out ways to do partnerships, and White Road is an example."