Traffic stop for headlight leads to drug charge
Grove City police officers conducted a traffic stop shortly before 3 a.m. on Jan. 14, near the intersection of Interstate 71 and Stringtown Road on a vehicle with only one working headlight.
The driver, a 22-year-old Grove City man, was found to have a suspended license and to be in possession of a syringe for injecting heroin, according to reports. He was arrested and charged with possession of drug abuse instruments and falsification after giving police a fake name.
In other recent Grove City Police Department incident reports:
* At 1:40 p.m. Jan. 14, a 27-year-old Columbus man was arrested for trying to steal $250 worth of electronics from a business in the 1600 block of Stringtown Road.
* Between 1 and 2:41 p.m. Jan. 14, a vehicle parked in the 2000 block of Stringtown Road was broken into and a purse was stolen. A witness reported seeing a gray Chevrolet Astro van next to the vehicle and a man standing near an open passenger door of the van, but no other description was available.
* A GPS unit, iPod and suitcase were reported stolen from a vehicle broken into between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. Jan. 16, in the 1600 block of Stringtown Road. The value of the lost items is estimated at $420, and damage to the vehicle at $150.
* A juvenile was charged after he was found to be in possession of an 8-inch kitchen knife at 4:20 p.m. Jan. 15, at Grove City High School, 4665 Hoover Road.
* Domestic violence and assault charges were filed against a 44-year-old Grove City man for an incident at 8 p.m. Jan. 14 in the 3700 block of Broadway where it was reported he punched his adult daughter in the face, grabbed her by the neck and slammed her head off the ground, resulting in visible injuries on her face and neck. The suspect left the scene prior to police arrival.
* A 45-year-old Grove City man was arrested for domestic violence and assault at 2:31 a.m. Jan. 16 in the 2800 block of Buxton Lane, after it was reported he punched his wife in the face and ended up hitting their 2-year-old son while she was holding him.
* Two men, a 23-year-old Plain City resident and a 25-year-old Canton man, were charged with possession of drugs after officers investigated a suspicious vehicle around 12:15 a.m. Jan. 15 in the 3300 block of Highland Street. Both men were found to be in possession of marijuana. The Plain City man was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia because he had a pipe.
* A conveyor rack was reported stolen between 12:01 and 5:30 a.m. Jan. 16, from the rear of a business in the 3500 block of Grove City Road. The suspect reportedly removed the bolts that secured it to the parking lot.
* Between 6 and 7:30 p.m. Jan 16, a scooter valued at $125 was reported stolen from a yard in the 2400 block of Deerfield Avenue.
* A black 2005 Dodge vehicle was reported stolen between 6:45 and 8:14 p.m. Jan. 14, from the 3700 block of Brookham Drive. Broken glass was found in the parking space the vehicle had been left in, but a spare ignition key was reported to have been in the glove box.
* Between 9:30 p.m. Jan. 15 and 8:08 a.m. Jan. 16, a 2005 silver Honda Accord was reported stolen from the 3200 block of Park Street. According to reports, the keys had been left in the vehicle. The car was recovered at 4:46 p.m. Jan. 16 in the 6400 block of Antoinette Court. Damage had been done to the driver's side of the vehicle, and the front tires were flat.
* Between 6 p.m. Jan. 14 and 4:30 a.m. Jan. 15, a tire on a vehicle parked in the 2200 block of Trimble Lane was slashed, resulting in $82 worth of damage.
* About 4:35 a.m. Jan. 14, a resident of the 4100 Ashgrove Drive was issued a summons for discharging firearms after he called police to report his gun accidentally fired while he was cleaning on his kitchen table. According to reports, the bullet struck a window on the rear of the residence, but no other damage or any injuries were reported.
* Sometime between Jan. 10 and 14, a breaking-and-entering incident was reported at a locked shed in the 600 block of Scioto Meadows Boulevard. A lawn mower, two five-gallon gas cans, a gas grass trimmer, a tackle box and fishing pole were reported stolen.