West Franklin Elementary school has been named a High Progress School of Honor through a new state program.
The school was recognized for its achievement at the South-Western Board of Education meeting Monday, May 6.
High Progress Schools of Honor score in the top 10 percent of schools ranked by gains in reading and math combined proficiency in all tested grades across five years, said Patrick Callaghan, South-Western's executive director of elementary education.
Just a few years ago, West Franklin struggled to meet the needs of its diverse student population, Callaghan said, making the achievement that much more impressive.
West Franklin Principal Dawn Lauridsen said the honor was achieved through the hard work of West Franklin's entire staff -- certified and classified employees alike.
In other business May 6, the board approved appointments to fill five administrative positions within the district.
The appointees are:
* Jamie K. Clark will become assistant principal at Franklin Woods Intermediate School, effective Aug. 5. Clark is a math instructor at three of the district's intermediate schools.
* Michael R. Cox was named coordinator of math/science curriculum. Cox currently serves as a middle school math specialist in the district.
* Toby S. Fischer will become assistant principal at Franklin Heights High School effective July 8. Fischer now serves as the 21st century learning coach at Upper Arlington High School.
* Kevin D. Laffin was named director of certificated personnel effective Aug. 1. Laffin is now the principal of Hayes Intermediate School.
* Amy L. Schakat will become coordinator of career tech education, effective July 18. Schakat currently serves as director of student services and academics and compliance officer at the Springfield-Clark Career Technology Center.