Stopping for a snack at a local gas station resulted in a woman being robbed, according to the Grove City Division of Police.
At 9:15 a.m. July 20, after buying ice cream from United Dairy Farmers, 2516 Stringtown Road, a 64-year-old Grove City woman exited the store and was walking back to her car when a man carrying a cellphone approached her and said someone had struck her vehicle.
He used his hand to rub the rear passenger side bumper, but there was no damage. As the woman walked to the driver's side of the car, the man punched her, knocking her to the pavement where she bruised her left forearm. He then stole her wallet, which contained $160, a credit card and two gift cards, police said.
The suspect took off toward Hoover Road. A witness pursued but lost sight of him.
Witnesses described the suspect as a white man in his 20s, between 5 feet 7 inches and 6 feet tall, with a beard and a wearing a white T-shirt and dark-colored hat or bandanna.
The victim told police she first saw the suspect when she parked her car at UDF. He had been near the west end of the building, holding a blue soda pop crate, and she thought he was a UDF employee.
In other recent incident reports from the Grove City Division of Police:
* Police were dispatched to the Big Splash, 2831 Southwest Blvd., after a lifeguard found an 8-year-old girl crying and unattended 7:23 p.m. Big Splash staff searched inside and outside the park for her family but had no success before calling the police. The girl's family turned up around 10:30 p.m., and she was released to them. The girl's aunt, a 28-year-old Columbus woman, was issued a Mayor's Court summons for child endangerment.
* During a traffic stop shortly after 2 a.m. July 21, near the intersection of Orders and Old Haughn roads, officers found the driver in possession of narcotic pain relievers and 1.5 grams of crack cocaine in a pack of cigarettes. Jarrett A. Harley, 26, of Sullivant Avenue in Columbus, was arrested and charged with a felony possession of cocaine and a controlled substance.
* A breaking and entering was reported between 9:20 and 10 a.m. July 16, at a storage unit in the 3300 block of Southwest Boulevard. Tools valued at $400 were reported stolen.
* Between 5:45 and 6:04 p.m. July 15, someone broke into a vehicle parked in the 3000 block of Southwest Boulevard and stolen a purse containing insulin and syringes. The damage to the vehicle is estimated at $300.
* Two vehicles parked in the 4200 block of Marlane Drive between 6 and 9 p.m. July 19, were broken into. One vehicle sustained $400 worth of damage to a window, and a $75 briefcase, $30 worth of books and $100 worth of clothes were stolen. A purse valued at $200 was stolen from the other vehicle, which also had $250 worth of damage to a window.
* While on patrol, officers in the 4200 block of Buckeye Parkway heard a car alarm and found a vehicle had been broken into sometime between 8:45 and 10 p.m. July 20. One of the vehicle's windows had been broken out and the ignition had been punched out and was found on the floor. Blood was also found on the center console. Nothing was stolen, but the damage is estimated to be $700.
* After arresting Thaer Jamil Ahmed, 23, of Oak Village Boulevard in Lewis Center, for shoplifting jewelry at a business in the 1500 block of Stringtown Road about 2:40 p.m. July 19, officers found him in possession of a bag containing cocaine and charged him with felony possession. Reports said Ahmed told police he stole the items, a ring and necklace, as a birthday present for his girlfriend.
* Someone broke into a vehicle between 7:30 and 9 p.m. July 20, while it was parked in the 1700 block of Stringtown Road. An in-dash television valued at $1,800 and sunglasses valued at $350 were stolen.
* Multiple thefts from vehicles were reported between midnight and 6:30 a.m. July 19, in the 1400 block of London Groveport Road. Someone stole a $900 gun and a wallet containing $60 cash and credit cards from one unlocked vehicle, and at least two other vehicles in the area were gone through.
* A ring valued at $634 was reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 2700 block of Walden Bluff Court between July 10 and 16.