An armed man robbed a motorist stopped in traffic at a Grove City intersection Jan. 2, Grove City police reported.
At 8:10 p.m. Jan. 2, the motorist, a Grove City man, was in his car waiting at a red light in the southbound lane of McDowell Road at Stringtown Road when a man approached the driver side window. The robber pulled out a dark-colored pistol, which he pointed at the resident, and ordered him to hand over his cellphone and money.
The resident complied, police reported, giving the robber a $400 smartphone and $4 in cash. The suspect then walked to the rear of the car, and the victim sped off, calling police when he got home.
Police searched the area about 10 minutes later but could not find the suspect or any witnesses.
The victim described the robber as a white man with dark hair and a thin build. He was wearing a dark tan toboggan hat with a bill and a dark coat.
In other recent incident reports from the Grove City Division of Police:
* The caretaker of a residence in the 3300 block of Castleton Street discovered the place burglarized between 6 and 8 p.m. Jan. 2, when he went to let out the owner's dog and found the garage door open. He went inside and found the residence ransacked. It is assumed entry was made through a broken basement window.
There also was damage to a rear sliding glass door and rear garage door. Tire marks were visible in the fresh snow inside the garage and on the driveway.
Items stolen included a $500 laptop computer, a $1,500 television and a case of water. The owners were on vacation in Florida.
* A car belonging resident of the 3000 block of Southwest Boulevard was reported stolen between 7:40 and 7:45 p.m. Jan. 5, after she loaned it to a neighbor. According to reports, the neighbor left the vehicle running with her 16-year-old daughter in the front passenger seat while she went inside her residence, but when she came back, both were gone. Since then, the neighbor has had no contact with her daughter, who has been reported missing several times in the past.
* Three suspects in a black pickup truck stole $6,000 worth of metal shelving components from the parking lot of a business in the 3900 block of Gantz Road at 2:15 a.m. Jan. 2. Video surveillance captured the event but not with sufficient clarity to identify the suspects.
* Between 4:15 and 4:30 p.m. Jan. 5, an employee of a restaurant in the 2900 block of London Groveport Road received a fake $50 bill as payment from a customer described as a white male, 30-35 years old.
* An officer pulled a vehicle over at 6:40 p.m. Jan. 5, near the intersection of Carlotta Street and Marsol Avenue because it had a taillight out, but during the stop, the officer reported smelling marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. When questioned, the driver, an 18-year-old Grove City resident, handed over a bag of marijuana. The officer issued him a Mayor's Court summons on a charge of possession of marijuana, along with a traffic citation for the taillight.
* While the Columbus owner attended services between 8:45 and 10:30 a.m. Jan. 5, someone broke into a vehicle parked outside the Grove City Church of the Nazarene, 4750 Hoover Road, and stole a large brown bag containing a GPS unit valued at $150. Damage to the vehicle is estimated to be $200.
* Someone broke into a vehicle parked in the 3900 block of Jackpot Road between noon Dec. 31 and 10:23 p.m. Jan. 2 and stole the owner's purse, causing an unlisted amount of damage to the vehicle's window in the process.
* Someone entered an unlocked vehicle parked in the 6300 block of Ewen Circle between 11:30 p.m. Jan. 2 and 4:30 p.m. Jan. 3, and stole the owner's wallet from her purse.
* Between 10 p.m. Jan. 2 an 4:45 a.m. Jan. 3, someone entered an unlocked vehicle in the 2100 block of Presley Drive and stole the owner's prescription sunglasses valued at $350.
* There were no signs of forced entry, but between 2 and 9:29 a.m. Jan. 3, someone entered two vehicles parked in the 6400 block of Antoinette Court and stole change, sunglasses and a personal check.
* Miscellaneous personal papers and a wallet were among the items stolen from an unlocked car parked in the 800 block of Scioto Meadows Boulevard between 10 p.m. Jan. 2 and 8:10 a.m. Jan. 3.
* Between 12:30 and 2:36 p.m. Jan. 1, someone broke into a Pennsylvania resident's car while it was parked in the 4200 block of Marlane Drive and stole a backpack. It contained an electronic mobile device valued at $750.
* Someone shot the side of a house in the 3600 block of Orders Road with at least six orange paintballs, causing an unlisted amount of damage between 5 a.m. Jan. 2 and 11:30 p.m. Jan. 3.