Jewelry and other items were stolen in a local burglary last week, Grove City police reported.
Between 8:28 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. May 27, someone entered a residence in the 2500 block of Old Home Road and stole several items, including a digital camera, prescription medication, miscellaneous checks and a gold necklace. The value of the lost items is more than $200.
Entry is believed to have occurred through the southeast corner of the residence by cutting through the screen of a window.
A neighbor told police she saw an older maroon vehicle traveling slowly through the neighborhood earlier in the day, and another neighbor said the windows of the maroon vehicle were down, and she could see a man with shorter hair driving. The vehicle had a spare tire on the front passenger side. A third neighbor provided a copy of the surveillance video of the suspect vehicle around 9:54 a.m.
In other recent incident reports from the Grove City Division of Police:
• A resident of the 5600 block of Blue Star Drive reported three coats, valued at a combined $580, were stolen between April 30 and May 4. During that time, the resident told police, her adult children had friends over, and she believes whoever took the coats were friends of her children. The coats were later found to have been sold to a store in Pataskala. Two of the coats have been resold. At this time, the resident did not want to press charges but wanted a report so the store would return the remaining coat.
• A lawn mower valued at $350 was stolen between 8 p.m. May 28 and 5 a.m. May 29 from a garage in the 3500 block of Magnolia Street. The garage had been left open. Officers followed mower tracks to the driveway of an abandoned duplex in the 3600 block of Demorest Road, but there was nothing further to follow up on.
• A bicycle valued at $800 was reported stolen between 2 and 2:10 p.m. May 24, from a garage in the 2700 block of Yates Avenue.
• Officials at Buckeye Woods Elementary School, 2525 Holton Road, reported four juvenile suspects broke an 8-foot double-pane window by throwing rocks at it about 7 p.m. May 28. The juveniles were detained and identified by the school, but officials told police the school did not wish to press charges. The boys were released to their parents.
• The swimming pool area of the Parkway Crossing Community Center, 1690 Nature Drive, was defaced between 9:30 p.m. May 28 and 6:30 a.m. May 29. Two chairs and a table were thrown into the pool, and a bottle of Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Rum was broken next to the pool. Small amounts of broken glass ended up in the pool, which had to be drained and cleaned. The total damage, including the cost of chemicals needed to clean the pool, was $900.
• Between 11:30 p.m. May 29 and 8 a.m. May 30, someone vandalized three signs in the pool area of the Village at Quail Creek, 5877 Crooked Creek Blvd., by cutting one with a sharp instrument and pulling the other two from a wall. Damage is estimated at $50.
• The manager of a business in the 3000 block of Broadway reported on May 28 that an employee stole more than $100 from the business. The suspect, a 20-year-old Grove City woman, reportedly left her shift early at 4:23 a.m. and never returned. The manager then checked the cash register and found the money missing. Security video showed the suspect accessing the register twice without reason.
• Sometime between April 17 and May 17, a credit card bill, an electric bill and a utility bill were stolen from the mailbox of a residence in the 2900 block of Wendy Lane.
• Between 8 p.m. May 28 and 8 a.m. May 29, someone broke into a vacant residence in the 4600 block of Newport Loop West and stole $500 worth of wire from the structure.
• At 9:45 p.m. May 26, a Grove City woman was sitting on lawn chairs with her boyfriend in his driveway in the 5700 block of Ravine Creek Drive when the boyfriend's ex-girlfriend drove up and began yelling obscenities at her. During the incident, the ex-girlfriend reportedly struck the current girlfriend on the left side of her head with her hand, swung her arms at her and kicked her in the torso before leaving the area, threatening to return. The incident reportedly occurred because the ex had made some derogatory comments on Facebook against the current girlfriend and the boyfriend had sent her an email asking her to stop.
The suspect is a 47-year-old Grove City woman. After being unable to locate her at her residence, police received a call from the suspect, who said she had gone to the boyfriend's residence to retrieve a shoe but had defended herself when the boyfriend pushed her to the ground, although she admitted being angry about the email
Charges are pending in the investigation.
• Police responded at 4:25 a.m. May 28 to the Red Roof Inn, 4055 Jackpot Road, on reports of a possible domestic violence call. A Columbus woman told officers she had been assaulted by a 29-year-old Columbus man, who had fled the scene prior to police arrival.
The suspect reportedly was intoxicated and had punched the woman several times in the face, bit her and struck her with the room phone and lamp, which police found had blood on them. Paramedics transported the woman to the hospital for her injuries, and police filed assault charges against the suspect.