Hilliard experiences high volume of vehicle break-ins
Hilliard police reported a series of vehicle break-ins throughout the city between Sept. 28 and Oct. 5.
"In many instances, vehicles were left unlocked and the suspects rifled through cars for whatever could be found," Officer Hyda Slone said.
Thirty-four people called police to report vehicle break-ins, and that is a considerable number, Slone said.
"Hyde Park and Darby Glen were hit pretty hard," she said.
Several of the thefts were "smash and grabs" in the Mill Run area in which cars were forcibly entered and expensive property stolen. In the residential areas, however, the thefts generally involved coins or sometimes a GPS unit, Slone said.
Because of the broad geographical area, police do not consider the thefts related.
"It's really crimes of opportunity," said Slone, who encouraged residents to always lock unattended vehicles.
* Jewelry worth $10,650 was reported stolen Oct. 3 from the 5300 block of Carina Court West.
* Police reported a vehicle was stolen at 6:05 p.m. Sept. 27 from the 5200 block of Franklin Street. Loss was reported at $10,000.
* Police reported an attempted burglary at 2 a.m. Sept. 29 in the 6100 block of Timberbrook Lane. A yard light and front door were reported damaged.
* A man told police a known person assaulted him at 11:20 a.m. Sept. 29 in the 6300 block of Deerglen Drive.
* Nine cartons of cigarettes were reported stolen at 11:20 p.m. Sept. 28 from a business in the 4200 block of Cemetery Road.
* A purse was reported stolen at 7:20 a.m. Sept. 29 from a vehicle in the 4400 block of Moraine Avenue. A window was broken to gain entry.
* Police reported $3 in change was stolen at 9:30 p.m. Sept. 29 from an unlocked vehicle in the 3400 block of Bryant Street.
* Police reported Sept. 29 that a GPS unit was stolen from an unlocked car in the 3400 block of Torrington Street.
* Coins and a cellphone, worth a total of $400, were reported stolen at 10:30 p.m. Sept. 29 from an unlocked vehicle in the 5000 block of Silver Saddle Court.
* Items worth $1,300 were reported stolen at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 29 from a vehicle in the 3700 block of Veterans Memorial Drive. A window was broken to gain entry.
* A credit card was reported stolen Sept. 29 from a vehicle in the 4800 block of Parkmoor Drive. The card was later used for unauthorized purchases, police said.
* Police reported a pistol was stolen Sept. 29 from a residence in the 3500 block of Paxton Drive.
* Police reported a vehicle was vandalized at 8 p.m. Oct. 1 in the 4300 block of Winterringer Street.
* Two windows were reported broken at 3 p.m. Oct. 1 at a business in the 3900 block of Main Street.
* A 17-year-old girl told police a known person assaulted her at 11:15 p.m. Sept. 30 in the 4800 block of Barbeau Lane.
* Police arrested a person at 7:50 p.m. Sept. 30 for assault in the 3500 block of Paxton Drive.
* A lawn mower was reported stolen Sept. 30 from the 5200 block of Franklin Street.
* Compact discs and coins were reported stolen at 9 p.m. Oct. 1 from a vehicle in the 4800 block of Parkmoor Drive.
* Two briefcases and a socket for a prosthetic arm were reported stolen at 4:45 p.m. Oct. 1 from a vehicle in the 3800 block of Park Mill Run Drive.
* Coins worth $10 were reported stolen at 2 p.m. Oct. 2 from a vehicle in the 4500 block of Earman Drive.
* A wallet was reported stolen at 10 p.m. Oct. 2 from a vehicle in the 4200 block of Packard Drive.
* Compact discs, a flashlight, a camera, sunglasses, a knife, a cellphone and other items were reported stolen at 6 a.m. Oct. 2 from a vehicle in the 4200 block of Packard Drive.
* Compact discs and a GPS unit were reported stolen at 3:30 a.m. Oct. 2 from an unlocked vehicle in the 4300 block of Packard Drive.
* Items were reported stolen at 7:45 p.m. Oct. 2 from two vehicles in the 3900 block of Parkway Lane. Stolen property included two purses, a camera, an iPod and a necklace.
* A purse was reported stolen at 6 p.m. Oct. 2 from a vehicle in the 3900 block of Trueman Boulevard.
* Police reported a vehicle was vandalized at 11:35 p.m. Oct. 4 in the 4300 block of Winterringer Street.
* Police arrested a 19-year-old man for underage consumption of alcohol and possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia at 12:25 a.m. Oct. 4 in the 3800 block of Park Mill Run Drive.
* Police arrested a 27-year-old woman for OVI at 2:55 a.m. Oct. 4 at Britton Parkway and Hayden Run Road.
* A commercial computer and charger were reported stolen at 10 p.m. Oct. 3 from a vehicle in the 5300 block of Old Creek Lane.