Planning and zoning
Commission OKs apartments, offices for 'gateway' development
Members of the Hilliard Planning and Zoning Commission on Nov. 8 heard the first cases related to the residences, offices and retail centers planned at the northwest corner of Cemetery Road and Britton Parkway.
Hilliard City Council members in August approved a development plan for the 56-acre parcel, the former site of Dana Corp. that has been vacant for almost the past 10 years.
Considered a "gateway" to Hilliard, city officials sought a high development standard for the parcel and several proposals failed.
The development plan calls for an 84,000-square-foot Giant Eagle store, a residential component and numerous office and retail outlets, including restaurants, gas stations and a medical office.
At the Nov. 8 meeting, commission members approved a 49,000-square-foot office building.
City Planner John Talentino said the plan meets all the criteria the city requires, but that some tweaking of the traffic plan is required to reduce the stacking of vehicles makes left turns into the development.
Sean Cullen, of Echo Continental Hilliard, told commission members his company is pleased for the opportunity to present the proposal.
"We are very fortunate, especially in this economy, to have this office building two-thirds occupied (with tentative lease agreements)," Cullen said.
Commission members asked what tenants are expected to occupy the office building, but Cullen said he was "not yet at liberty" to divulge the tenants.
Commission members also approved a development plan for a 439-unit apartment complex on 28.4 acres, tentatively called the Villages at Britton.
In other action, commission members approved:
* New exterior building materials and signs for Jack's Appliances on Center Street.
* A variance to permit outdoor seating for the Loose Goose Tavern and Grill, 4093 Trueman Boulevard.
* A conditional-use permit to allow a place of worship at Guide Church Baptist, 4751 Northwest Parkway.
* A variance to allow a temporary sign for Colliers International, 3455 Mill Run Drive.
* Construction of a 650-foot outparcel building at Holowicki Enterprises, 5049 Cemetery Road.