Hilliard: Man charged with burglary after foot chase
Hilliard police charged Jeffrey A. Chasteen, 29, with burglary, a second-degree felony, after officers arrested him April 8 following a short foot pursuit through the Darby Glen subdivision.
Officer Hyda Slone said April 9 that Hilliard police still were attempting to verify Chasteen's address.
A witness called police at 11:57 a.m. while observing a man enter a residence in the 4500 block of Earman Drive.
The man began stacking items near a window at the house, according to police.
He fled as officers arrived, police Chief Doug Francis said.
Several officers chased the man through backyards and over fences before apprehending him and identifying him as Chasteen.
Police said Chasteen had a pre-existing medical condition and had been at an area hospital recently before leaving against medical advice. The hospital discharged him.
Norwich Township medics transported Chasteen back to a hospital, where he was put under guard pending his arraignment.
In such instances, Francis said, the police department can be responsible for some medical expenses because the suspect is a prisoner.
In other recent incident reports from the Hilliard Division of Police:
* A 24-year-old man told police a known man stabbed him at 9:30 p.m. April 1 in the parking lot of an apartment building in the 4500 block of Crystal Ball Drive.
The victim said he heard a domestic argument and intervened when he saw a man strike a woman, police said. The man then cut the victim with a knife, and the man and woman both fled the scene, police said.
The suspect has been identified and charges are pending, police said.
* Police reported a burglary at 5 p.m. April 5 at a residence in the 5200 block of Franklin Street. Paintings, posters, a food processor, a mixer and books were reported stolen. Estimated loss was $2,000.
* Jewelry worth $6,800 was reported stolen at 4 p.m. April 5 from a residence in the 6200 block of Heritage Point Court.
* A digital music player was reported stolen at 10 a.m. April 5 at Hilliard Davidson High School, 5100 Davidson Road.
* A cellphone was reported stolen at 6:20 p.m. April 4 from the 4700 block of Cemetery Road.
* Police arrested a 51-year-old man for theft at 8:25 p.m. April 3 in the 3200 block of Hilliard-Rome Road.
* Police arrested a 15-year-old girl for drug abuse and possession of drug paraphernalia at 1 a.m. April 8 in the 3700 block of Main Street.
* Police charged a 14-year-old girl with possession of drugs at 8:20 a.m. April 5 at Hilliard Heritage Middle School, 5670 Scioto Darby Road.
* A man told police a known person assaulted him at 9:30 p.m. April 1 in the 3500 block of Edler Street.
* Police arrested a 27-year-old man for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and a 20-year-old man for possession of drug paraphernalia at 6:05 p.m. April 3 in the 3600 block of Park Mill Run Drive.
* Police arrested a 16-year-old boy for possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia at Hilliard Darby High School, 4200 Leppert Road.
* A 16-year-old boy was arrested for possession of marijuana at 8:40 p.m. April 1 in the 4200 block of Cemetery Road.
* A 22-year-old woman was arrested for OVI and possession of drug paraphernalia at 1:45 a.m. April 4 in the 4200 block of Cemetery Road.
* Police arrested a 22-year-old man for OVI and possession of drug paraphernalia at 1:45 a.m. April 4 in the 4200 block of Cemetery Road.
* A 19-year-old man was arrested for receiving stolen property and theft at 8 a.m. April 6 in the 3800 block of Park Mill Run Drive. The man was in possession of a stolen vehicle.