Hilliard: Bell reported stolen from Darby football field
Hilliard police are investigating the theft of a 250-pound cast-iron bell from the Hilliard Darby High School athletics complex, 4200 Leppert Road.
Officer Jon Gleason said police suspect at least two people -- and likely more -- were involved in taking the bell from the south end of the football stadium behind the end zone during the overnight hours from Sept. 6 to 7.
The bell was removed from a brick pedestal bearing Darby markings, but the bell itself has no markings, police said.
There was no damage to any property during the theft, police said.
"We've been hoping to hear something (via social media), but so far we've got a goose egg," Gleason said Sept. 16.
Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call Hilliard police at 614-876-7321.
In other recent incident reports from the Hilliard Division of Police:
* Hilliard police arrested a 35-year-old man for theft and receiving stolen property at 8:40 a.m. Sept. 15 outside a Speedway store in the 3700 block of Main Street.
James H. Lester, 35, of Rushville, was charged for misdemeanor theft and a felony charge of receiving stolen property.
Hilliard police had been advised that Lester was wanted on a warrant and might be in the Hilliard area, police said.
Officers located Lester's vehicle at the Speedway and approached him the parking lot.
While inside, Lester allegedly shoplifted three cans of beer, a candy bar, a blueberry pastry and a pair of gloves, police said.
Employees were not aware Lester had taken the merchandise, police said.
Police impounded Lester's vehicle. Inside, officers found a .22-caliber revolver that had been reported stolen in North Carolina.
* A man told police a person forcibly took his laptop computer and cellphone at 9 p.m. Sept. 11 in the 3800 block of Park Mill Run Drive.
* Police arrested a 20-year-old man for burglary at noon Sept. 11 after he entered a residence in the 3500 block of Vintage Woods Drive.
The man allegedly took clothes, a GPS unit, a notebook and consumable goods, according to the report. All the items were recovered.
* Police reported a burglary at 5 p.m. Sept. 14 at a residence in the 5600 block of Oldwynne Road.
Two laptop computers, phone chargers and a camera were reported stolen.
* A burglary was reported at 6:15 p.m. Sept. 9 at a residence in the 4800 block of Jeannette Road. A door frame and dry wall were reported damaged. No property loss was reported.
* Police arrested a 24-year-old man for theft and possession of drug-abuse instruments and a 30-year-old woman for theft and obstructing official business at 4:55 p.m. Sept. 9 at a store in the 4100 block of Trueman Boulevard.
* A bicycle was reported stolen Sept. 9 from the 4600 block of Crystal Clear Drive.
* Tools were reported stolen at 10:45 a.m. Sept. 8 from an unlocked vehicle in the 3200 block of Echo Park Drive.
* Computer equipment and medical equipment worth an estimated $5,510 were reported stolen at 6 p.m. Sept. 6 from an unlocked vehicle in the 3200 block of Echo Park Drive.
* Clothes were reported stolen at 9:30 p.m. Sept. 6 from a vehicle in the 5900 block of Morganwood Square.
* A pocket knife, chemical spray and cash were reported stolen at 8 p.m. Sept. 8 from an unlocked vehicle in the 2800 block of Frazell Road. Property loss was reported at $45.
* Police reported $30 was stolen at 11 a.m. Sept. 8 from an unlocked vehicle in the 6000 block of Heritage Lakes Drive.
* A GPS unit was reported stolen at 8:20 p.m. Sept. 10 from a vehicle in the 4700 block of Cemetery Road.
* Police reported a purse was stolen at 11:30 p.m. Sept. 13 from a vehicle in the 5000 block of Landview Drive.
* Police reported a calculator was stolen at 9:45 a.m. Sept. 12 from Darby High School, 4200 Leppert Road.
* Police arrested a 28-year-old man for drug abuse and a 37-year-old woman for possession of drug paraphernalia at 4:15 a.m. Sept. 8 at Cemetery Road and Lyman Drive.
* A 36-year-old man was arrested for drug abuse at 12:55 a.m. Sept. 8 in the 3900 block of Parkway Lane.
* A 28-year-old man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia at 1:40 p.m. Sept. 13 at Cemetery Road and Parkway Lane.
* Police arrested an 18-year-old man for possession of drug paraphernalia at 7:15 p.m. Sept. 11 in the 3800 block of Veterans Memorial Drive.
* A 24-year-old man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia at 6:40 p.m. Sept. 10 on Interstate 270 North.
* Police reported a vehicle was vandalized at 2:45 p.m. Sept. 10 in the 4000 block of Leap Road.