Hilliard police say copper thieves caused thousands of dollars in damages to a home in order to steal a few dollars worth of copper.
A woman in the 3700 block of Dublin Road told police Dec. 10 copper piping worth $20 was stolen from her residence.
The damage to remove the piping was estimated at $4,000.
In other recent incident reports from the Hilliard Division of Police:
* Police reported a burglary at 2:30 p.m. Dec. 10 at a residence in the 3500 block of Leap Road.
A door was forcibly opened and several firearms were stolen, according to the report. The victim told police she would file a list of all the stolen property at a later date, according to the report.
* Police reported a breaking and entering at 6 a.m. Dec. 7 at a residence in the 4500 block of Crystal Ball Drive.
A garage door was damaged. No property loss was reported.
* Police reported a breaking and entering at 12:15 p.m. Dec. 9 at a business in the 5200 block of Cemetery Road.
A glass door was broken and four concrete saws were reported stolen. Damage was reported at $1,000 and property loss was estimated at $4,400.
* A package was reported stolen at 1:10 p.m. Dec. 9 from the porch of a residence in the 3700 block of Smiley Road.
* A package was reported stolen at 12:55 p.m. Dec. 9 from the porch of a residence in the 4300 block of Chukbuk Court.
* Police reported a cellphone was stolen at 1:05 p.m. Dec. 10 from Hilliard Memorial Middle School, 5670 Scioto Darby Road.
* Tires and rims worth $2,000 were reported stolen at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 10 from a vehicle in the 6200 block of Ridgefield Drive.
* A purse containing a wallet, money and credit cards was reported stolen at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 8 from a vehicle in the 3500 block of Heritage Club Drive.
* Police reported $20 was stolen at 8 p.m. Dec. 8 from an unlocked vehicle in the 5600 block of Medinah Drive.
* Police arrested a 24-year-old man at 11:20 p.m. Dec. 8 for improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle in the 4200 block of Cemetery Road.
* A 28-year-old woman was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia at 2:30 a.m. Dec. 8 following a traffic stop at Cemetery Road and Lyman Drive.
* Police arrested a 21-year-old woman at 11:50 p.m. Dec. 11 for possession of narcotics at Scioto Darby Road and Glynwater Lane.
* A 22-year-old man was arrested at 3:25 a.m. Dec. 12 for possession of drug paraphernalia in the 3600 block of Main Street.
A 31-year-old Galloway man told Columbus police he caught a man stealing wood Dec. 13 from vacant property he owns in the 2400 block of Hilliard-Rome Road.
The suspect struck the owner with a piece of the wood, but the owner "protected himself" from the suspect, police said.
According to the report, the suspect was transported to Doctors West Hospital for undisclosed injuries.
The property owner refused medical treatment at the scene.
The report did not indicate any charges were filed.
In other recent incident reports from the Columbus Division of Police:
* Vandalism was reported between 7 p.m. Dec. 5 and 9 a.m. Dec. 6 at Hilliard Early Learning Corp., 2214 Hilliard-Rome Road.
* Tools, boxes of ammunition, a flashlight, an air compressor and other items were reported stolen between 6 p.m. Dec. 6 and 8 a.m. Dec. 7 from a vehicle in the parking lot of a hotel in the 5500 block of Trabue Road.
* A vehicle was reported vandalized at 5:30 a.m. Dec. 2 in the 2400 block of Quarry Stone Drive.