Norwich Township firefighters responded to an early morning fire Jan. 8 that destroyed a residence in the 3200 block of Polley Road.
A 22-year-old woman safely escaped the residence, but she lost a collection of pet rats, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded to a report of the fire at 5:15 a.m. Jan. 8. Units from Columbus, Washington Township and Prairie Township also responded.
The fire was not contained until nearly 6 a.m., Norwich Township Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Warren said.
The air temperature was about minus 7 degrees while firefighters were battling the blaze.
To help shelter the firefighters, some of whom remained at the scene until 8 a.m., Hilliard City Schools provided a bus, Warren said.
Warren said the fire was accidental.
The woman had built a fire in the home's fireplace and was using a space heater. Fire officials believed the fuel inside the space heater might have been ignited by the flames inside the fireplace, Warren said.