Dawes Arboretum is on state Route 13, five miles south of Newark and three miles north of Interstate 70, Exit 132, 7770 Jacksontown Road SE, Newark, OH 43056. Call 740-323-2355.
* Night Hike -- Summer Solstice & Fireflies, 9 to 11 p.m., Friday, June 21. Learn about lightning bugs and the citizen science project called Firefly Watch on the longest day of the year. Members free; nonmembers $5.
* Little Buckeye Imagination Sessions: Habitat Fit for a King, for children from age 3 and 10, 2 p.m., Wednesday, June 26. Keep the body moving and the brain exercising as science is combined with games, crafts, stories. Free; no registration required.
* Guided garden wagon tours with an emphasis on plants, 10 a.m. Saturday, July 6. Meet at Visitors Center. Free; donations welcome.
* Hunting for Salamanders, Part II, 1 to 4 p.m., Saturday. July 13. Learn about lungless salamanders while taking a wagon ride to the Arboretum East Gorge property. At the gorge, participants will hike a wooded trail to the gorge stream called Quarry Run. Closed-toe shoes are necessary for wading. Cost is $10 members; $15 nonmembers. Meet at Visitors Center.
* Music in the Garden: Celts Crossing, 1:30 to 3 p.m., Sunday, July 14. Irish music. Performances cover a variety of genres. All concerts held in the All Seasons Garden just north of the Visitors Center. Bring chairs, blankets and picnic lunches. Free.
* Night Hike -- Holy Moly, Batman, Bats Galore! 9 to 11 p.m., Friday, July 19. Six species of bats live at the arboretum. Learn interesting bat facts and put some old wives' tales to rest. Cost is $5 nonmembers. Members free.
* Music in the Garden: Dr. Lopez and the LocoRoaches Orchestra, 1:30 to 3 p.m., Saturday, July 27. A seven-piece Latin jazz band will play high-energy tunes including "Cubop" (Latin and bebop jazz) and pieces composed by group founder Richard Lopez. All Seasons Garden. Free.
* Ales in the Garden Tour, 5 to 7 p.m., Saturday, July 27. Reservations required; must be 21 or older to participate. An evening of food from local restaurants and beer pairings from the Homestead Beer Co. Held at the arboretum's Rare Tree collection. Cost is $25 per person.