The Johnstown-Monroe Board of Education has hired Dr. Victor F. Cardenzana as interim superintendent following the resignation of Thomas Slater.

The Johnstown-Monroe Board of Education has hired Dr. Victor F. Cardenzana as interim superintendent following the resignation of Thomas Slater.

District treasurer Tammy Woods said the board hired Cardenzana on Nov. 18, because Slater had stepped down to focus on his recovery. Slater had emergency surgery in early September for a blood clot on the brain.

Slater had been working as Johnstown-Monroe's interim superintendent since March 1. In June, the board voted to extend his contract for another year to July 1, 2014, while the district sought a permanent replacement for former superintendent Damien Bawn, who retired in February.

Cardenzana will be employed on a per-diem basis, making $330 per day until the position of superintendent is filled, Woods said. He's retired through the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio and will not receive benefits through the J-M district.

Cardenzana retired in 2008 after three years as superintendent of the Wellington Exempted Village Schools in Lorain County. He was superintendent of the Ridgewood Local Schools in West Lafayette from 1995 to 2005.

He has 29 years of experience as a public school administrator.

His post-retirement experience includes supervising the construction of a new elementary school of 971 students for the Coshocton City Schools from July 2010 to May 2013.

Cardenzana's resume also notes his extensive construction experience with the Ohio School Facilities Commission (now the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission).

In September, the J-M board unanimously approved legislation to enter into an active planning process to prepare for a possible conditional approval in 2014 to participate in the Classroom Facilities Assistance Program.

Slater previously told ThisWeek that he expected the district to place an issue on the spring 2014 ballot to renovate or build new schools.

J-M had accepted a funding offer in 2012 but didn't come up with the local share. The state commission previously approved Classroom Facilities Assistance Program funding for the construction of new school buildings: one for kindergarten through fifth grade and one for sixth through 12th grade.

Cardenzana declined to comment on his interim job.