U.S. Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-Genoa Township) has nominated 29 students from Ohio's 12th Congressional District to be considered for appointment to one of the five U.S. service academies.
Each academy will evaluate its nominees for admission, based on scholarship, leadership, physical aptitude, medical fitness, goals, motivation and evidence of character.
Licking County students who were nominated, their parents, hometown, high school and academy of choice are:
* Blake Butler, Vanita and Kelly Butler, Newark, Licking Valley High School, U.S. Naval Academy
* Edward Gero III, Nancy and Edward Gero Jr., Pataskala, Watkins Memorial High School, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
* Hunter Holton, Holly and Ryan Holton, Millersport, Watkins Memorial, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
* Jerrod Lyon, Debra and Jeff Lyon, Pataskala, Watkins Memorial, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
* Caleb Ohl, JoEllen and Paul Ohl, Alexandria, Newark Catholic High School, U.S. Naval Academy.
* Sean Prendergast, Tracey and Michael Prendergast, Pataskala, St. Charles Preparatory School, U.S. Air Force Academy.
* Connor Severino, Janet Antolini and Jeff Severino, Pataskala, Watkins Memorial, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
* Justin Treinish, Janie and Jack Treinish, Pataskala, Watkins Memorial, U.S. Air Force Academy.
The five U.S. Service Academies are the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
Nominations by U.S. senators, U.S. congress members and/or the vice president are required for appointment to all but the Coast Guard Academy, which makes appointments based on a nationwide competition.